Jam Factory Meeting

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 30 July 2003 2.13pm
Dear All,

There will be a public meeting about the Jam Factory development - past/present and future at the Roundhouse on Great Dover street from 6.30 - 8.30

Representatives of the Council, Developers and Builders will be there.

Wednesday 30 July 2003 2.13pm
that is tonight by the way....
Wednesday 30 July 2003 3.20pm
for those of us unable to attend, but interested in what has happened at the development, is there anywhere online (or otherwise) to read about the problems?

thank you.

Wednesday 30 July 2003 3.32pm
I'll do a synposis here tomorrow of what happened.....
Thursday 31 July 2003 12.38pm
Interesting meeting last night with the council and Developers in attendance.

Lot of local concerns from all sections of the community both young and old

Spaces for 200 odd cars to be created at the Jam Factory increasing traffic in the local area accordingly - esoecially Rothsay Street/Green Walk. the carpark works would mean 17 metres worth of soil being removed - probably in region of 300 lorry loads!

Work not to finish for another 18 months if all goes to schedule.

Southwark sold out cheaply when permission was granted - 270k for improvemets throughtout the whole Borough. This will go through the JMB despite the fact that most local residents come under a TMC! 270k was a very very low setlement. 50k also to go to road improvements in surrounding area.

Angel Developers have appointed a consultancy to manage communication with local residents (Jackie Wild - jackie.wild@millersinclair.co.uk) They promise a lot and appear to b proactive, although the question is why wasn't this tackled 3 years ago!

Noise - all noice concerns to be addressed to Miller Sinclair for action. It was asked why noisy work as to be undertaken on a saturday morning? Also no noise breaks for local residents on weekdays. This would be monitored by Southwark council.

Dust - Health concerns raised, also remedial works. Angel stated that the windows would be cleaned on completion - not satisfactory, this would be investigated.

Parking - This would be monitored by Southwark on an ongoing basis and enforcement measures undertaken. One resident mentioned her car was physically moved and damaged by contractors in order to gain access.

Damage - An independent surveyor would be appointed by Southwark and Angel to investigate damage and make good if necessary.
Thursday 31 July 2003 2.43pm
thanks for the summary.

am i right in saying that the parking places are being built under what will be the 'affordable' housing?

this was originally scheduled for completion 18 months once work had started on site, which i guess is approx. 2 years ago now.

it is one of the more shameful aspects of local government that many recent planning permissions granted in various london boroughs have not stipulated that the affordable housing element should be built at the same time.

the problem will be that as the flats are sold off, the incentive for the developers to adhere to what they've promised decreases. i know of a series of new 'loft' style developments (not in southwark) that have in fact breached or ignored planning restrictions as there are no council officers to check what's going on.
Thursday 31 July 2003 3.08pm

wouldn't surprise me....

Possibly built over 220 car parking spaces!
Thursday 31 July 2003 4.03pm
dave, thats too true to be funny! think aylesbury estate...built over garages....:-)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: