Used Bikes?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 23 April 2007 5.21am
Hello, I am planning to be in London this coming fall and will be living in the SE1 area, and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for how to go about purchasing/finding used bikes. I'm keeping an eye out for used bikes on Craigslist London, but thought that perhaps some of you may have better suggestions!
Wednesday 25 April 2007 4.30pm
Buy a new one. They're only about 100 (I know that's $200, but you'll find everything here pretty expensive with the dollar as it is). By the time you've replaced tyres and tubes, brake cables and had it serviced you'll have spent that much on a rusy old heap with worn bearings.

Believe me, I'm as parsimonious as they come, but when it comes to bicycles... buy new.
Wednesday 25 April 2007 5.40pm
Welcome to the forum and SE1!

I agree with Mapmaker - buying new definitely makes sense and you can get a relatively decent bike for not much money. If you're on a really tight budget, a friend of mine bought a bike off gumtree.com, which he thinks is ok (but six months on he is looking to buy a new one).

Good luck.
Wednesday 25 April 2007 5.42pm
The London Bicycle Repair Company in Hatfields (often recommended on this forum for bike repairs) also sells secondhand bikes.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
TAK
Wednesday 25 April 2007 5.44pm
I bought the cheapest possible new bike about four years ago for about 80. It latest nearly 3 years until it reached it's end of life which was longer than I had expected.
I bought again the cheapest possible new one which then cost 90. It was truly awful and I had it for a few months - I eventually got a full refund.
A year ago, I ventured to Recycle on Elephant Road. There I got for 85 a used bicycle which is fantastic (ok it looks super battered but I don't mind). The frame (aluminium underneath the flaking paint) was apparently form a police auction and the rest was assembled in the shop. The quality and the feeling of cycling is a completely different world to the cheap ones and I am extremly pleased with it.
Thursday 26 April 2007 7.47am
where did you buy such cheap bikes? i guess i will buy one new. any recommendations for places to go in the neighborhood?
Thursday 26 April 2007 6.58pm
London Cycling Campaign
http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=303

local borough groups are lively
http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?Pageid=31

there are free printed cycle route maps for the whole Greater London area so you can plan your commute in advance (from lcc)
Friday 27 April 2007 4.17pm
Decathlon at Surrey Quays do very cheap bikes.
Saturday 28 April 2007 8.27am
A bicycle is stolen every 71 seconds in England as new figures show nearly 440,000 were reported stolen last year.
And that doesn't include the bikes that were stolen from the people who were riding stolen bikes and couldn't report the theft!
The hotspots for thefts are central London, Kingston-upon-Thames in south west London, Cambridge and Bristol.
Almost 90% occurred when a cycle was left locked in public. Only 1% of bikes were taken from an owner's home.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6596559.stm

My neighbour who has had two bikes nicked asked if he could borrow my bike occasionally and when I asked what happens if it's stolen he waffled, so I said no.
PS
I won my bike in an Evening Standard competition and next friday in the ES,
Friday 4th May
Win a place on the London Etape Anglais
We have 10 places to be won to ride in the London Etape Anglais on Sunday 1st July 2007, which is the route used for the UK leg of the Tour de France. Plus, we have five road bikes to be won courtesy of Cycle Surgery.
Saturday 28 April 2007 9.53pm
We took our much-loved but highly impractical (for everyday city riding) road bikes to Recycle and got very decent money for them towards one new and one barely-used bike better suited to bumping around town. They had a pretty good selection of used and new bikes at a range of prices.

Thanks, btw, to all posters for their honest useful comments here and on all aspects of life in the 'hood. We've lived here for 5 months now and the discussion list is always my first resort when faced with all the "where can I..." "how do I..." questions that come up in the course of a week.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network