The Best and Cheapest Food in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 23 April 2007 8.00am
Curious what there is out there for a poor student!
Monday 23 April 2007 8.14am
Do you mean food as in supermarket shopping or food as in eating out?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 23 April 2007 9.21am
lidls..or perhaps pie and mash?
Monday 23 April 2007 10.01am
You're a student, you have plenty of spare time yes? Get some exercise - walk to Chapel Market, N1 (it's near Angel, a pleasant half hour dander from Blackfriars Bridge), work up an appetite, and have all the vegetarian curry you can eat for 3.25.

Apologies for my ongoing evangelism for this magical little place :)

Otherwise, find a friend and go to Wetherspoons during 2 meals for the price of 1 hours. Tower Bridge is my preferred one (as it's non smoking) but the E&C one is OK too.
Monday 23 April 2007 10.20am
Tai Tip Mein at E&C does large bowls of soup noodles as well as large plates of stir fried noodles or rice for 4.

No connection - just a happy customer
Tuesday 24 April 2007 2.05am
James Hatts wrote:
Do you mean food as in supermarket shopping or food as in eating out?
- Both!

beingjdc wrote:
Get some exercise - walk to Chapel Market, N1 (it's near Angel, a pleasant half hour dander from Blackfriars Bridge), work up an appetite, and have all the vegetarian curry you can eat for 3.25.
- Whoa! I'll definitely keep an eye out for this one!

juanita wrote:
Tai Tip Mein at E&C does large bowls of soup noodles as well as large plates of stir fried noodles or rice for 4.
- Nice. Thanks for that.
Tuesday 24 April 2007 9.10am
sfujimoto wrote:
beingjdc wrote:
Get some exercise - walk to Chapel Market, N1 (it's near Angel, a pleasant half hour dander from Blackfriars Bridge), work up an appetite, and have all the vegetarian curry you can eat for 3.25.
- Whoa! I'll definitely keep an eye out for this one!
http://www.vegguide.org/vendor/view.html?vendor_id=1274
roy
Tuesday 24 April 2007 11.07am
We went to the Bhel Poori House in Chapel Market the other day. Drank a lot of beer (which you help yourself from the fridge) and still the bill was tiny - probably less than going to a pub. Food was good and definitely worth the money.
Locally I would recommend Suchards (thai in london bridge) , Ruby Marsh, Inshoku, Masters fish and chips and the chains like wagamma, The Real Greek or Nandos - all next to the globe.
Tuesday 24 April 2007 2.24pm
>poor student

So you have time on your hands, and not much cash. So learn to cook properly. Can you grow your own vegetables - herbs in a window box? Make your own pastry, bread. Cook cheap cuts of meat - liver, kidney, heart, tripe, trotters, shin. Make stock from the bones and thus soup.

Read 'Nose to Tail Eating' to learn how Fergus Henderson created a whole restaurant serving cheap unloved cuts.
Tuesday 24 April 2007 11.39pm
Try Cafe Rossi (at Borough High St opposite NatWest), Brittania (next to Kipling Estate)and Sanh Hing (Tower Bridge Rd- cheaper than the branch at Borough High St, opposite Sainsbury). You can find a good meal for around 4 if not less. If you have a travel card, hop in the 10 mins train to Charing Cross which takes you to Chinatown. All those chinese bakeries won't cost you more than 1.50 for 3 large buns (large selection of fillings). I'm a big eater but my colleagues reckon 2 buns are more than enough. There is also a very good and reasonably priced Malaysian restaurant called 'tuk tuk' next to Admiral Duncan (a pub painted in pink). Everyone knows where Admiral Duncan is.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: