Eastwell House/Tabard Gardens

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 23 April 2007 10.03am
I'm (hopefully!) buying a flat in Eastwell House on the Tabard Gardens estate - I'm really looking forward to moving to the area, and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on general safety issues on the estate, and also any council work that might be coming up on Eastwell House?

Thanks very much!

:)
Tuesday 24 April 2007 7.42am
Hi Jen,

I'm not sure about your specific block, but I've lived on the estate for a year now and found it a very good place to be. It's really quite quiet and feels safe to me.

The council should be able to tell you what they have planned for your block at the moment, I think all blocks on the estate are due for a round of 'major works' in the next few years, although in a lot of cases all that will be needed is some external decoration.

Hope this helps.
Wednesday 25 April 2007 12.28am
Jen,
your vendor is obliged to tell you of any proposed works that they have been informed about. Consider also attending one of your Tenants' and Residents' Association meetings, which are widely advertised on estate noticeboards. There you may meet other residents, and also council officers who may tell you about works.
Wednesday 25 April 2007 3.59pm
no way would i want to be wandering around there after dark, go and check it out in the evenings is your best bet, i know a few people who have been mugged near there, it is not even near the main roads
Wednesday 25 April 2007 4.32pm
Oh no, now I'm worried... I had done a bit of wandering around after dark and thought it felt pretty safe. Whereabouts were the muggings - was that recently?
Thursday 26 April 2007 9.30am
Jen, whilst you're right to be cautious, I would go with your own gut sense about whether Eastwell House is somewhere you feel comfortable. Whilst you do hear about muggings in SE1 (someone on here had a horrible experience last year, but was luckily unharmed), they are few and far between and no better or worse than many places in London IMHO.

I lived round the corner from Eastwell House until recently and never had any problems walking back through the estate or surrounding areas. That said, I wouldn't cut through an area I didn't know well late at night, but would walk around the longer way where there is more traffic and people. You can avoid a lot of aggravation with a little common sense, but never entirely avoid the risk of being mugged.

Welshy, welcome to the forum - since the above was your first post, perhaps you can tell us a bit about your experiences. Do you live on the estate?
Friday 27 April 2007 1.06pm
well my mate got punched in the face after he had handed his money over and spat on, i dont live on the estate, i live near waterloo and i dont feel to safe there sometimes in the evenings, my mates rented on the tabard and they couldnt get out fast enough, thanks for the welcome, i used to read it years ago and decided to join, its very useful and sometimes quite entertaining, i am not a welsh man its just my name
Friday 27 April 2007 4.27pm
Jen

I used to live on Tabard Gardens - till about 5 years ago then moved to Long Lane so not that far away

I never had any problems even late at night but as Sidhue said you have to be cautious anywhere you go nowdays.

sorry your friends had a bad experience Welshy but I have had less bother round Tabard Gardens than in the Waterloo area (where i was atacked when pregnant after refusing to hand over my cash and saved by a bus driver)so i guess it is where you feel comfortable at the end of the day.
Saturday 28 April 2007 10.10am
I've lived on the Tabard for over 20 years and never had any problems, by following the good common sense that Siduhe suggested. Its a good suggestion - go at different times including night, and see how you feel. Everyone's confidence level is different - go with what's right for YOU.
Saturday 28 April 2007 10.40am
Eastwell House is in Area 3 of Tabard Gardens - flak jackets required (that's a joke)
As The Unladylike Ms Jo will I'm sure confirm, Area 1 of Tabard Gardens (which is north of Long Lane) is much more civilised. The only noise to be heard is the hum of Guys generators.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: