Unilever House and views of St Paul's

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 23 April 2007 11.36am
This shows the catastrophic damage done to St Paul's by the recent Unilver House extension -

How ironic that the architects said this about its appearance:-

"...to create useable space on the roof while reducing the overall detrimental effect of the building as foreground to views of St Paul's from Waterloo Bridge and the South Bank."

"...the west elevation is entirely replaced and treated to reduce its visual impact."
Monday 23 April 2007 11.56am
It is indeed repugnant. I was thinking only yesterday how bad it looks.
Monday 23 April 2007 12.06pm
I've split this into its own thread as the Thames vista one is mainly about Chambers Wharf and it didn't seem sensible to muddle that with talk of Unilever House.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 23 April 2007 12.31pm
Who takes the decision to allow these monstrousities to be built next to our beautiful monuments? Is there a way of stopping them?
Monday 23 April 2007 2.52pm
Well I dont know if it was cheap (probably not) but it sure is ugly.
Monday 23 April 2007 3.07pm
Somewhere there should be a very red-faced planning officer.
Monday 23 April 2007 3.18pm
It doesnt look as bad as some of the towers going up in the City. The Planning Officer who dealt with the application is a personal friend and is a very nice person, who take pride in what they do. Didnt this go to Planning Committee??
Monday 23 April 2007 3.54pm
Pops wrote:
It doesnt look as bad as some of the towers going up in the City.

Is that supposed to be a joke?
Monday 23 April 2007 4.10pm
Pops, am I right in thinking that you are saying that you think it's okay because your friend is the planning officer?
Monday 23 April 2007 4.15pm
That extension wouldn't look out of place on a retail park - it's really not up the standard we should expect in that location.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: