BT Broadband in Shad Thames

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 25 April 2007 10.40am
I'd appreciate advice whether to switch from ADSL to cable. BT have told me that in this postcode speed is max 2mbps and perhaps <1mbps for a stable service. I get kicked off several times per day and have to restart the router. I know there can be other factors than the BT line, but I think I've eliminated them. Thanks for any help.
Wednesday 25 April 2007 11.45am
Hi Mark

I am in Boss Street not far from you and I have a very stable 8 mbps downstream / 448 kbps upstream connection.

Although my MODEM informs me the connection is 8meg, I can get an accurate check of the actual speed by clicking here. This speed checker is the most accurate I have found. My speed varies from about 3meg during the day to over 6meg late at night due to ADSL contention.

I am using the Southwark exchange, and assume you are too. To confirm, enter your telephone number into this Exchange Congestion Checker , it will display your exchange details.

You can also check the max speed your exchange can handle (Southwark is rated at 8meg) by clicking here.
Wednesday 25 April 2007 1.46pm
That's brilliant! I'm getting 1.5mbps/243kbps on a 2mbps service which is ok but often unstable at times. I am on Southwark Exchange, but BT say line considerations limit me to 2mbps. I'm in Eagle Wharf. Thanks.
Thursday 26 April 2007 12.20am
I have a Window Me laptop. My computer at home is no longer protected from any virus as the symantec protection has expired. So, it has been a pain not to be able to use the laptop at home. BT told me that there is nothing they could do and advised me to either get an XP for this laptop or buy a new one. Can anyone advise me on this? I'm not a computer literate person. BT also advised me to try to have XP installed by small shop than the larger stores.
Thursday 26 April 2007 6.17pm
Windows ME is now a fairly old operating system and I think your problems are that the current versions of the Symantec products are not ME compatible.

So, you could upgrade you operating system to Windows XP with a view to then installing an XP compatible Virus Scanner/Firewall, but I would advise you to check the specification of your machine vary carefully against the XP System Requirements. Of course, this will be an expensive and time consuming solution.

A better solution may be to download a free Windows ME virus protection and firewall program. Remember that some programs are better than others, so read up and do your research.

Click this Google Search to get your research started!

Good luck - but remember it's vital that you have at least a Firewall between you and the Internet.
Sunday 29 April 2007 12.23am
Thanks for the advice.
Sunday 6 May 2007 1.12am
EDIT: Didn't read Boss St Bloke's links. Made my post on contention ratio irrelevant.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: