Suggestions For Places To Take 70 People on a Saturday

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 27 April 2007 2.56am
I'm hiring a double decker bus to take 70 people from London to the Epsom Derby on the 2nd June but I'd like to drop them off somewhere nice and go for drinks after in London on the return - ideally looking for a Bar or Club that will have enough room for 70 to 100 people that is south of the Thames

Ideally the place should also be near a Tube Station so people can get home easily afterwards.

So far Auberge Bar opposite London Bridge is where I'm thinking of going, any other suggestions for somewhere really informal?
Friday 27 April 2007 6.15am
The Hole in the Wall at the Borough, right next door to borough tube station?
Friday 27 April 2007 6.22am
Village East would be good - lots of room and near London Bridge...
Friday 27 April 2007 6.26am
The one shown is the not the one at the borough, that one looks like it's in a basement.
Friday 27 April 2007 9.34am
You could book the Golden Hinde. It holds about 70 and they cater.
Friday 27 April 2007 9.44am
You can hire out the downstairs on the Auberge Bar - I've been to a work function there before. It would be a good size for 70-100 people. Not sure if it can be booked on the weekend though.
Friday 27 April 2007 10.08am
The boat on the Albert Embankment is available for private hire. Food is fine. But am forgetting its name.

I grew up in Epsom and went to school in Banstead. We used to get Derby day off school, in the days when the Derby was on a Wednesday. Most trainers were Irish Catholics, and it was reckoned that first rate tips were given out during the mass on the Sunday before at the Catholic Church at Tattenham Corner during the sermon. These, it was believed were extracted from trainers, stable lads and jockeys in the confessional.
Friday 27 April 2007 12.15pm
Hi, thanks for all the replies so far .. I should say I don't want to spend any more money on actually hiring a place.. or have the risk of needing a minimum bar spend

I spoke to the people at Temple who run the Walkabout and they wanted me to ganrantee them a minimum spend on drinks of 2,000 or pay the difference myself.

And spoke to the manager of the Queen Mary boat and was told I could take people into their nightclub for free before 9pm but 1 minute after and it would be 5 per person -and because we don't know how bad traffic might be on the way back didn't want to potentially risk having to fork out another 350 (5 x 70 people)

Anyone know what Traffic is likely to be like around 7pm to 8pm coming back into London towards London Bridge type area from Epsom?

I'm trying to do everything I can to avoid traffic as last year went went to a Polo match and it took twice as long to get home as it did to get there, all down to traffic.

I plan to leave with the bus from Embankment station as it's got a good place for a Bus to wait and 4 tube lines running there, so fairly easy for people to get to from all over London. But coming back thinking if I can stay south of the river it will be a good idea.

I might go into SE1 area this Saturday and see various places before making a final decision.

I went to Auberge around Xmas time and was packed full of office parties and very noisy - anyone know what it's like on a Saturday night?

Ages ago the staff said weekends are very quiet for them as most of their business was from tourist going to the London Dungeon.

Also does anyone know any place I can park my car for the day Near London bridge? Most past trips I've done are on Sundays so I was able to drive into London and park on a yellow line, bringing with me free soft drinks and food for people on the trip, all of which are very heavy - this year going on a Saturday I can still drive into London but no where I know to park
Friday 27 April 2007 12.16pm
Jan the old one wrote:
The one shown is the not the one at the borough, that one looks like it's in a basement.
The former Hole in the Wall at the Borough is now called The Trinity .

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 27 April 2007 12.55pm
You can park on Union Street on Saturdays - I think it is 3. Handy for Borough Market ...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: