Bermondsey Street Conservation Area extension

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 27 April 2007 1.26pm
Mention has been made of this in several recent threads about Grange Road and surrounding areas.

This report is being considered by Southwark's planning committee next Wednesday (2 May):

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 31 May 2008 9.46pm
Did this go through, does anybody know? I cannot find any confirmation of this.

Sunday 1 June 2008 11.26am

Officers' "Addendum" report to 2nd May 2007 Planning Committee
The item relating to the designation of the Bermondsey Street Conservation Area has been withdrawn to ensure that a fair and equitable consultation process is undertaken in accordance with best practice.

Minutes of 2nd May 2007 Planning Committee
The chair informed the meeting that item 7 - Bermondsey Conservation Area has been withdrawn for this meeting by officers and will be resubmitted in the near future

Planning Officers report to Planning Committee on 16 October 2007 for Jam Factory retrospective planning application:
On May 2nd 2007 the Council's Planning Committee considered extending the boundaries of the Bermondsey Street Conservation Area which would bring the Jam Factory site within its boundaries. A decision was, however, deferred to allow for further consultation

Surely, the committee never "considered" the paper, so the Jam Factory report is inaccurate.

But why was it pulled at such a late stage after having gone through the Bermondsey Community Council. I fear I smell the threat of legal action by landowners.
Monday 2 June 2008 10.51am
Thanks, LR.

Very intriguing. When I spoke to Paul Carvocaressi - the conservation officer in charge - (I fear I have mangled his surname) a few days before the 2nd May meeting, he said it was a matter of rubber stamping.
Monday 2 June 2008 10.56am
I think it's Paul Calvocoressi.
Thursday 19 June 2008 9.07am
Someone (a user of this website??) asked about this at Bermondsey Community Council last night.

The answer was that last year's consultation yielded lots of requests for further extensions beyond what was then proposed, so there is to be another round of consultation before the matter comes back to the planning committee in September/October.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 6 November 2008 10.33am
Its' now November, and nothing has happened.

I'll be asking again this coming Tuesday, I've notified the officer responsible, which gives them enough time to come up with an excuse.

Although maybe I shouldn't give them that much credit.
Friday 7 November 2008 8.56pm
I suggest this be brought up and brought forward with the planning conservation officer. It should be resolved before there is more development pressure south of Long Lane
Wednesday 4 March 2009 7.01pm
News, at last....from the mouth of the officer responsible.

The posiition is that we originally proposed to the Bermondsey Community Council a relatively small extension to the conservation area to take in parts of Grange Road and Tower Bridge Road. Public consultation produced a generally favourable response. However, a significant number of responses asked for further areas to be included as well, principally the former Jam Factory in Green Walk.

Officers were of the view that the inclusion of most of these additional areas could be justified in architectural or historic terms (which are the only criteria for designating conservation areas). We therefore feel that there should be a reconsultation to include the residents of the additional areas.

We are therefore proposing to carry out this reconsultation over the next few weeks.

Paul Calvocoressi,
Design & Conservation Team,
Regeneration & Neighbourhoods.
Sunday 10 May 2009 5.11pm
It came through my letterbox yesterday.

Extended to include The Jam Factory, the South side of Long lane up to The Deli and The Ship, and back again to include Simon The Tanner and Blue Lion Place.

Includes a good chunk of TBR, with The George as an entrance to the area.

Consultation open to 10thJuly,

The BSAP was clear in its' initial aims to achieve this extension of the Conservation area, the challenge now is to extend their success beyond the confines of Bermondsey Square to bricklayers Arms and Spa Gardens.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: