Antony Gormley sculptures on buildings around the Southbank

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 27 April 2007 8.50pm
Wow - has anyone else seen the sculptures going up yet? We had two put on our building today, and I've spotted seven so far in total on the skyline. Just amazing!

The most awesome one I've seen so far is on the edge of the Union Jack club building 200ft up - my five year old spotted it early this morning and thought someone was ready to jump - I wonder if the Police have had many calls today?
Friday 27 April 2007 11.13pm
What a fantastic idea!
Saturday 28 April 2007 9.46am
They do look good, just hope that dont obscure wjfox2004's view of St Paul's.
yas
Saturday 28 April 2007 11.06pm
Shame that they are taking them down in August. It would be great if they could leave them there! Makes some of those grim buildings look much more interesting now.
Sunday 29 April 2007 6.45am
Way ahead of you - we're considering losing the key of the roof...
Monday 30 April 2007 12.25pm
I do think they are great but I was given the fright of my life whilst sat on my balcony on Friday evening and realised that there was someone standing on the very edge of the Whitehouse Apartment building looking ready to jump. My friend and I were all set to get the police to mount a rescue operation when, thanks to my binoculars and the recollection I had read about the statues, we calmed down. We are not particularly excitable but it really freaked us out thinking someone was about to end it all after a c**p week!
Monday 30 April 2007 12.27pm
And before anyone says it, no I am not suggesting we get all health and safety and take them down!
Tuesday 1 May 2007 6.54pm
ooer.... I heard today that the one on the Union Jack club is being removed because the Fire Brigade were called out to a 'jumper' six times over the weekend. Apparently the ones that are not on the edge of buildings can stay. Isn't such art *supposed* to shock?! And can't 999 operators simply tell callers to look more closely...?

More new ones are being put up - there's one being installed right now on the pavement on Waterloo Bridge; they've been trying to fix it most of the day, but earlier the paving slab broke so they had to start again. There's another one on the truck ready to be installed at the other side of the bridge, but I don't think they'll get to that tonight! Unlike the roof mounted sculptures, these are iron rather than fibreglass, so hopefully will last a while before the moronic vandals get to work on them. But I'd be surprised if they last the week before being spraypainted.
Thursday 3 May 2007 3.39pm
The Gormley sculptures are a big success and really enhance the area. It's wonderful to walk along the streets in Waterloo and watch people look up and discover them for the first time.

They are by far the most successful piece of public art in the area. The flags by various artists on the car park are not understood as art by most passers-by and the installation in the under pass off Concert Hall approach is a disaster - dirty, shabby and the vandals have wrecked it already.
Thursday 3 May 2007 7.39pm
They are the most talked about art in central london i've ever been aware of. I wish they were permanent.

Regards them being tagged or graffitied, I'm not so concerned. Interactive 'art' of a kind. Maybe if 'the kids' deface one they'll feel a part of it??

It would make me smile to see one Banksy'd too.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: