St Stephen's Church, Manciple Street, Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 12
Sunday 29 April 2007 11.41am
Hi, very pleased to have found this site.

I was born in St Stephens Vicarage, off of Manciple Street, my grandfather was the Rev Henry Kirkham.
Now i know the church has been pulled down after the Dave Clark Five made the film Catch Us if You Can or Having a Wild Weekend the American version. And the vicarage is still there, although has been sold off privately.

I am after any photographs of the church or any information that anyone can give me.
Also, the Daily Mirror in 1963, 1964 or 1965 did a article on the film, i would dearly love to get a copy of this but need to know the date of the paper, it was an article inside the paper. If anyone could help me, i would love to hear from you. Thank you, Ann
Sunday 29 April 2007 3.03pm
The article you are looking for appeared on page 13 of the Daily Mirror on Monday 15 February 1965.

If you go to http://www.arcitext.com and search for Manciple Street you can see a thumbnail of the page in question; the article is headlined "Odd goings-on in St Stephen's".

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 29 April 2007 3.47pm
Hi James,

Thank you, Thank you so much for that, l have spent about ten years looking for this article, l have even been up to the newspapers archives in Collindale, earlier on this year, somehow we missed it. My children have searched their computers as well for me, l have been onto so many people for this.

l am truly grateful, Thank you again, Ann
Monday 30 April 2007 6.38am
Hi Ann,

I lived in Strood House, just behind the Old Vicarage in Hankey Place. I can remember the excitement when the Dave Clark filmed in the Church. It was the worse kept secret in the world! A neighbour of mines daughter somehow smuggled herself in the van of the crew when they had finished filming, determined to see the famous lads..
I remember the church very well, the fact that there was bomb shelters nearby in the park convinced us kids that the church was haunted by the people who died in them. I was puzzled why the church had to be de-consecrated before letting the group perform, then all was revealed when it was demolished. shame..:-(
There are some photos of St Stephens online - albeit in the distance. I will try to remember where I saw them and send you the link.
Monday 30 April 2007 7.25am
Is the church in this picture St Stephen's?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 30 April 2007 8.00am
Yes James thats one of the photos..:-)where did you track that down?
Monday 30 April 2007 8.11am
Hi James,

This is wonderful, My grandfather was the vicar there at that time and as l only have one photograph of the outside of the Church, this is one that l haven't got.

Will certainly buy this one.

Thank you, Ann
Monday 30 April 2007 8.14am
Hi Jan,

Thank you for your memories of when the film was made, we didn't know about it,till we read about it in the Daily Mirror, so was quite upsetting really for the family, as my grandfather had then died and we had moved away to Hutton in Brentwood, this was when they moved a lot of people out to new Council Estates in the 'country'.

l would be very interested to see some photographs if you can remember where you saw them. As i only have one on the outside and of course the one that James found.

Thank you, Ann
Monday 30 April 2007 10.43am
Hi Jan,

l have just clicked on your words Hankey Place and a picture of Hankey Hall came into view. This has been built on the old Church Hall, next to Strood House. The original Church Hall had three bombs dropped on it in the second world war. Apparently they reckon that the Germans thought there was something of value there that needed to be destroyed. But it was only the Church Hall. My mum told me that my Grandfather, Father Kirkham, was really distressed at the bombings. He and my Nan used to go down the underground stations and talk and look after people when the air raids were on. Ann
Monday 30 April 2007 11.43am
Hi Ann

I too used to live in Strood House, and I also remember the Dave Clark Five being at the Church. I did get autographs from the band which I waited patiently all night for!

Trisha
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: