Old Kent Road - safety

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Ed30 Saturday 5 May 2007 10.09pm
Hi everyone
I've read with interest a thread about safety in the area. I am a guy thinking of buying a flat just off the OKR just north of East St. My particular concern is safety late at night as I get back from work via a night bus and would get home to OKR between midnight and 2am. Should I worry?
I'd appreciate any thoughts/ advice
Thank you
Ed

Advertisement

carmenes82 Sunday 6 May 2007 1.10am
Ed,

In short, no, I think the OKR is busy enough to feel safe most times of the day and my housemate (a girl) regularly walks along the OKR to get home after coming back from concerts (at midnight/1am) and says it's fine.

Ultimately, as I think most people on this forum will tell you: (i) you are living in London so you need to take precautions by avoiding dark alleys, walking with confidence, not openly flashing money, valuables, etc. etc. and (ii) if you have any doubts about an area, spend some time there and talk to the neighbours, locals, etc.

In terms of investment, I think the area you are looking in is as good as it gets.

Good luck and do come back to the forum if you end up living in SE1.

Chris
Emmesse Thursday 10 May 2007 11.22am
The OKR around East St is usually fairly busy late at night. There are buses on 4 night bus routes going past, taxis heading into town and people going to/from the 24 hour store, Virgo's nightclub and the takeaways.

The only two hazards I've encountered at that time of night are cars speeding through red lights (so take extra care crossing the road) and professional drinkers outside the 24 hour store who think I may wish to give them 50p at 1am to keep them in booze.

So, if you do as Chris says, there's no need to worry.

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions