Rubbish collection at 06.30hrs???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Tuesday 8 May 2007 12.20pm
Hi All

I live in Shad Thames and over the last few months I'm SURE that the rubbish collectors are arriving earlier than they used to. On Saturday morning, they made a glass bottle collection at 06.30hrs. Has anyone else noticed this in the Shad Thames area or even elsewhere in SE1? During the week they normally turn up at 07.00hrs which I feel is still too early given the amount of noise glass collection creates.

Southwark Council operate a policy where building work can't commence until 08.00hrs Monday to Saturday yet these rubbish collections are so much louder than any building work I've heard in the area. Any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Cinnamon Wharfer

Related news & features

Tuesday 8 May 2007 3.13pm
I live on Mill Street, and our bins get collected from Dockhead, right outside my bedroom window. They have always collected early in the mornings, at least since I've lived there (two and a half years), and even collected at something like 7am yesterday.
Tuesday 8 May 2007 3.17pm
The bins on my esate are always collected early, usually about 6.30-7am. Im on Pages Walk
Tuesday 8 May 2007 4.05pm
just be grateful you still get a weekly collection!!
Tuesday 8 May 2007 5.09pm
It's actually a daily collection of the bottles from the bars, so no, I'm not going to be grateful!!! ;)
Tuesday 8 May 2007 7.33pm
Get up a bit earlier you lazy so and so.
Wednesday 9 May 2007 5.49am
I was going to say, you live a charmed life it 7.00 is the crack of dawn for you....
Wednesday 9 May 2007 7.57am
To be fair, getting woken up at 6.30 on a Saturday would be pretty irritating!
Wednesday 9 May 2007 10.35am
Thanks Long Laner!

I'm quite surprised at the lazy so-and-so remarks I've been getting. Glass collection is a very noisy affair, and as I stated, if building work, which is in general considerably quieter than glass collection, cannot commence until 08.00hrs, then I don't understand why these commercial rubbish collections can take place at such an early hour.

I don't lead a charmed life. I work hard, am seven months pregnant and need all the sleep I can get at the moment. I was only looking for advice/information on other people's experiences.
Wednesday 9 May 2007 11.24am
The Southwark Council Cleaning Dept obviously have very strange routines. On Easter Sunday last year, at the sunrise service in St Mary Magdalen Churchyard (at about 6.15 am), two street sweepers appeared, noisily pushing a barrow across the churchyard!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: