Isabella Blow dies

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 8 May 2007 8.13pm
I'd like to say how sorry I am to hear of Isabella Blow's untimely death.
I met her only a few times through my then flatmate- she came to our house in Camden and I accompanied him to hers on Theed Street. I thought she was incredibly glamorous, but she was also very down to earth and friendly, showing me her shoe collection in her bedroom all in see through display cases like pieces of art, and her cardboard dining table and chairs that she had bought because they looked amazing, even though if you sat on them they'd break!
She was I guess, what you would call a true English Eccentric- I can't imagine her being anything other than British, and I think that people like that brighten up life.
My thoughts go to her family.

Related news & features

Tuesday 8 May 2007 10.22pm
Such a shock to hear that news. I saw her at the Opera House ages ago, and she was wearing a fantastic hat - I remember thinking it was a good job that her and her hat were in a box, and not obscuring the view of their shadows in the stalls.

Apart from the hats, she seemed to emanate a certain understated, reserved and aloof quality...a refereshing change from the usual fashion/celeb crowd. I had no idea she was a local.
Wednesday 9 May 2007 4.20pm
A sad loss to the gaiety of life.
Wednesday 9 May 2007 5.52pm
I too was unaware that she was local...indeed a sad loss when a true original passes on at so young an age....the good die young as they say.
Wednesday 9 May 2007 6.44pm
My own experience of Isabella Blow was a bit more extreme. About 5 years ago she was part of a large group seated next to the table I was on, for dinner at La Tante Claire.

It was a very raucous party, with much alcohol and little food being consumed. She was in a trademark hat and half-veil.

At the end of the meal and late in the evening, she climbed onto the banquette seating and stood on the table to declaim some verses from what I believe was La Belle Dame Sans Merci, spun on her heel, and then passed out [or perhaps fainted?] before she could step back down, making a graceful (at least in the circumstances) slump from table to floor.

We were ushered out to complete our final course in the bar. As Jackie says, a true original.
Wednesday 9 May 2007 7.09pm
The BBC have some pictures and a link to an interesting Vogue article.
Thursday 24 May 2007 3.07pm
I thought you might like to see this tribute from across the pond:

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: