Southwark's Tooley Street move

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Thursday 10 May 2007 8.31am
Cllr Folley is right to be concerned about the rents of these buildings, I remember the environmental health building in Grange Road, it became dangerous especially in high winds so that department was moved , but good ole southwark still had to pay about £9000 a week rent because it had signed a long lease we were told! it later was renovated and sold off individually as flats.
Wednesday 20 June 2007 9.46am
Alright then...how much is this costing us of the bottomless pocket?
Wednesday 20 June 2007 11.30am
I'm sure they need centralised modern accommodation but is this the most cost efficient location?

More to the point I dread have 2,000 badly dressed jobs-worths moving into the nieghbourhhod...
Wednesday 20 June 2007 12.12pm
Crikey Johnathan - you aint seen me yet! mind you i aint a jobsworth..:-)
Wednesday 20 June 2007 12.13pm
Jonathan,

Surely it then becomes the duty of local residents to "style" your new neighbours. I'm not really a fan of Trinny and Suzanna but their hectoring style might be appropriate for the "2,000 badly-dressed jobs-worths" from Southwark's Environmmental Health. It could make a great reality TV programme, combining the interest in grime with that of makeovers. Or at least a feature by James.

Sarah
Wednesday 20 June 2007 3.38pm
That would be so funny! Make it a condition of the council moving to Tooley Street that all council workers have to wear suits and business dress at all times, so that they blend in with the suited masses at Mo'Lo.
Thursday 21 June 2007 5.46pm
bit unfortunate(?) for the local shops around the old council offices ........but surely good news for local busineses with an additional 2000 public er servants looking to supplement their jam butties at lunchtimes :-)
Friday 28 September 2007 11.44am
I have to say I'm pretty horrified by all this. The rationale appears to be to sell off most of the council offices in Southwark - many of which are not really fit for purpose anymore so fair enough. However, rather than invest in a new property - or even build one at the Elephant & Castle, far more central and where they own the land - they are intending to use the revenue from the sales to pay for the new accommodation for a ‘period'. Presumably after the money runs out they'll have to keep paying rent so up goes the Council Tax?

It doesn't seem like a plan for the future, more like one to make sure the managers who'll be around for the next 10 years have nice offices.

The money generated should be being used to ensure that the Council has an efficient management plan for the future, not just blowing the cash on something superficially nice.

Oh yes, there won't be enough space in the new block for all of the staff, so some will be stuck in old offices round the borough that are being retained. Which is fine so long as their work is connected to the areas they're located. However some will be asked to work from home. Not really planning is it?
Friday 28 September 2007 3.06pm
they do plan to have offices at E and C, but further down the line. moving to london bridge is part of the drive to bring departments together, hot desking and all that jazz
Saturday 29 September 2007 11.19am
mister wrote:
they do plan to have offices at E and C, but further down the line. moving to london bridge is part of the drive to bring departments together, hot desking and all that jazz

They certainaly haven't publicised that's the plan! What has been said gives no indication of that. The land round Elephant & Castle is going to be high value. Indeed the sale of the land in that area is one of the main funders for the Tooley Street move. It's much the same reason that the new build on the Elephant & Castle end of the development will be private sale or Housing Association at best. The ex-council tenants who want to stay with the council will be pushed to the southernmost end of the development. The most they'd put in at E&C is a local office for direct services and one stop shop.

My real concern is that it has been decided to house the main council offices in the most expensive area of the borough. It just seems to be a waste of public money, particularly since it's not very public transport accessible for the Southwark residents. Frankly if they put it somewhere cheaper like the Elephant, or even Peckham they could be making services better and be more accessible to the borough.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: