Moving to Alscot Road, help??

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 11 May 2007 11.54am
Hi everyone. I've spent the last hour or so reading through a lot of your discussions and they've been really interesting and insightful so i thought i'd register myself.

I'm moving to Alscot Road (opposite Spa Gardens and just off Grange Road) next week and just wondered whether anyone could offer any tips, info or anything else worth knowing about the area. i.e. where's the nearest supermarket, what's crime like / how safe, any nice parks, cinemas etc etc... anything remotely interesting would be fantastic!!

Cheers.
Friday 11 May 2007 2.57pm
A man was half murdered at the gates to Spa Park at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon last month.

Other than that, a great area. Milk and newspapers (99p for 2 litres) from Premier at 156 Grange Road. Fruit and Veg (and Halal meat if you approve of it) from Badr Superette on Tower Bridge Road ('TBR'). Delicatessen on Long Lane (mortgage required). Sunday morning entertainment at the car boot sale at the school just down Grange Road (bargain flowers and fruit October to Easter), followed by mass at the Cathedral. Lidl for horse blankets. Arts cinema coming to Bermondsey square shortly.

Go up to TBR for buses - 1 & 188 Westbound over Waterloo Bridge; 42 & 78 (? 48 & 72??) over Tower Bridge. Or up to the OKR for buses over London and Westminster Bridges.
Friday 11 May 2007 3.04pm
Thanks; that's really useful info... a little concerned by the 'half-murdering' on my doorstep though.
Friday 11 May 2007 3.15pm
Oh, you're kind of near me, except that I'm in SE16 the other side of the Co-op. It's not a great Co-op, but if you walk east down Southwark Park Road you have that and an Iceland and a Superdrug. Or go South down Dunton Road to get to the big Tesco (or get a bus to the other big Tesco at Canada Water).
Friday 11 May 2007 6.06pm
Welcome to the forum and SE1!

This thread from a few months ago might be useful:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/56115

There is a big multi-screen cinema at Surrey Quays which is a 10-15 ride on the number 1 bus.

Chris
Tuesday 28 August 2007 8.34am
Welcome to the Area

Opposite you is the Grange Pub, they have enormous fish in their back garden! Grange Road doctors and clinics are right there too, Southwark PCT is right behind you off Neckinger and in the ground floor of
the Artisian Building there will shortly be a doctors and Southwark Foot health clinic, The Southwark One Stop shop is on Spa Road, so if you want any info about council tax or Southwark you will find it there.

Tescos is down at the end of Grange Road, it will be ronovations startng later this year to be a super super store with 450 flats above and then BurgessPark is just opposite Tescos where u can go fishing (expensive 53 a year!) or have a nice snack in Chumley Gardens Cafe with its lovely garden behind inside Burgess Park.
You can walk to Bermondsey tube in 10 mins, or catch buses to E & Castle/Waterloo

So its a pretty good area with the park in front of you and transport links. There is also a handy DVD shop on Grange road that sells copies for 3/4

Hope you'll enjoy your new place
regards
Angela & Peter Hill

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: