Elephant Tesco Metro

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 11 May 2007 1.42pm
What is happening in this already rubbish store.
All week this week there is no cheese and the fridges are empty. The fridge next to it with the bacon etc in says 'def' for, I guess defrost on the screen too- I didn't buy anything.
They were also, for the second time this week, out of mince.
This coupled with the horrendous, surly, ignorant attitude of the staff on the tills makes me glad that we get the bulk of our shopping delivered.
I had to brave Iceland and it was a thoroughly depressing experience.
KM
Friday 11 May 2007 2.23pm
You are so right, and it just keeps getting worse - preparations to close???. This, coupled with the lack of reasonable banking facilities in the area, has got me thinking about contacting Declan, the BBC Breakfast money guy about the 'them & us' feeling I'm getting, it might make an interesting item for him. E & C obviously has no attraction for many (most) commercial operations today.

On the other side of Waterloo Bridge in the Covent Garden/Strand Area there are two Tesco's that are better stocked and staffed and they can't say it's for the folk that work there as they're open til 11.00pm. There are also numerous branches of all of the major banks including no less than three HSBCs in a half mile radius of the CG Piazza!
Friday 11 May 2007 4.00pm
I find the Tesco Metro in the shopping centre equally frustrating, but all the chains in the Shopping Centre seem to disappoint compared to their outlets elsewhere.

I've found the Boots understocked, the Superdrug staff filling shelves while the queues are 10 deep and the Woolworths is more like a car boot sale with things on all the wrong shelves. Iceland seem to aim to have as few tills operating as possible and even WHSmith seem to make buying a magazine as difficult a purchase as possible.

All of which means that instead of popping in on my way home, I avoid the shopping centre unless I really need to get something. Can't wait for the bulldozers in 2012.....
Friday 11 May 2007 6.34pm
I don't actually find Iceland too bad - they do open extra tills when queues build and the staff are pleasant.
Zoe
Friday 11 May 2007 7.15pm
I like Iceland as well, they have some good special offers, and the staff are generally pleasant, if a bit gormless.

I couldn't agree more about Tesco, how do they make all that money?
Saturday 12 May 2007 6.50pm
I stopped buying meat from Tescos years ago - I know a farmer who supplies Tescos with his prime beef. And he complains bitterly that they don't hang it for more than twenty minutes, so it is tasteless and tough.

Buy your veg from the market stall outside the E&C tube station. And your meat from Ocado?
Saturday 12 May 2007 7.40pm
...and your meat from... Suffolk Meats in Great Suffolk Street.

Great quality, friendly, good prices.

No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Regards,

Loafer
Saturday 12 May 2007 9.49pm
sarahmc, I misread mince for mice, which there are plenty of in the Borough High Street Sainsburys.

Why are they letting big buildings go up all around here and not organising a proper big supermarket? That Blue Fin thing could've had one in it.
Sunday 13 May 2007 3.52pm
All the big people are due to come and set up shop in the Walworth Road extension which will be a pedestrian street with the Waitrose's of the world.
Monday 14 May 2007 9.40am
I've contacted Tesco head office about the standard of the E&C store and have received rudeness and lies in response. When I pointed out that half the tills are always shut, even at busiest times, they claimed it was just due to "staff illness". The staff, however, have told me that there just aren't enough employees to go round. The shelves where the meat and other fresh food is kept are filthy. Tesco said that they would look into what's going on there and get back to me, but of course never did. They don't care, and it's a waste of time complaining. Sadly, there is no reasonable alternative within walking distance, so I'm (reluctantly) contemplating getting food delivered. Seems ridiculous in central London in 2007!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: