Con man in Shad Thames

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 11 May 2007 2.26pm
We had a guy knock on our flat door last night at 10pm claiming to be an arsenal reserve team player called Sean Thomas. He said he lived in one of the flats in our building. He asked for sponsorship/donation in relation to a charity event he was playing in at the Emirates Stadium.

Turns out no such person plays for the team and Arsenal are contacting the police about it.

Just something to be aware of if you live in the area.
Friday 11 May 2007 2.32pm
I would not have opened the door at that time unless they called through and i recognised them..what a saucy bleeder he wos..
Friday 11 May 2007 2.57pm
Hmmm, he was a very jovial fellow and gave us his name and flat number through the door, so hard not to open up when he's claiming to be a neighbour. He wasn't scary - as you say, just very cheeky!
Sunday 13 May 2007 3.32pm
Oh dear. I think I've been had by him. About six months ago...said he was from the Guiness buildings around the corner and was doing a sponsored shoot-out at Arsenal. Very personable....I'll know better next time!
Sunday 13 May 2007 3.48pm
There's one born every minute....
Sunday 13 May 2007 3.58pm
...also operating on Long Lane. As you say, very personable guy. Here we were wondering if we'd offended our across-the-hall neighbour by not contributing to her boyfriend's charity shoot-out.
Monday 14 May 2007 11.32am
By way of an update - Arsenal are on to him They have a case pending against a guy who has been pulling this stunt so if its the same one, they know who he is!
Tuesday 15 May 2007 1.16am
I might have the same guy in Long Lane. I can hear someone buzzing my neighbours and before long he was ringing my bell. He woke me up in the afternoon (was working throughout the night) about some football and asked if I would allow him into the building. I suggested that he should stand by the ticket barriers at London Bridge station to ask for donation! There are more people there!
Wednesday 12 December 2007 7.34pm
This guy's in action again - managed to get into our building this evening. I hate to admit to being so bloody stupid but we actually gave him money as did two other neighbours. He said he lived in our building and as we've only recently moved in, we didn't necessarily know he was lying. He is very good at what he does - ok, that makes me feel slightly less stupid but it's true.

However, thankfully we became suspicious and googled him, discovering it was a scam, and managed to persuade him to hand back the cash whilst calling the police. Needless to say he had disappeared by the time they got here!

This is the police warning I found:

On 25/06/2007 the Victim received a knock on the door from the SUSP he stated he was a reserve team player with Arsenal Football Club and was taking part in a charity event taking penalty kicks against the 1st team Goalkeepers. The Victim pledges 10 as he was wearing a Navy Blue tracksuit with Arsenal FC Logos and the words Fly Emirates on it. The Victim did not hand over money on the doorstep and as the Suspect said he only lived two streets away she agreed let him collect the money later on that week. On 30th June 2007 the suspect returned to the address and collected his money and even told the Victim how well he'd done.

Arsenal FC have been spoken to regarding this and they informed me that this male is well known to them and called Sean THOMPSON Dob 16/10/1976 he is known to have been using this M.O. for at least two years by the club. he has been previously active in North London particularly Islington and Camden boroughs Arsenal FC have been actively publicising his activities and it is thought that he moved area due to this. He lookes extremely professional and has apparently got all the branded kit to add weight to his claims and will return for money at a later date if necessary - Arsenal FC believe that the reports they are receiving and the police are receiving is just the tip of the iceberg concerning this as most persons who have been visited by this male and have reported it have done so only after reading of the scam at a later date.

Also there is evidence to suggest that Sean Thompson is a name used by Shawn Paul Johnson who is well known to Southwark Police and has lots of previous for deception type offences.
Wednesday 12 December 2007 8.39pm
We had him in my building too a few months ago. Asked for donations for a children's swimming event, something to do with Arsenal. He said he was staying with someone in the building. I sent him packing.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: