Ray's Ristorante pizzeria

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 11 May 2007 4.58pm
Has anyone tried this place?
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/32/rays-ristorante
If the pizza is good, then I want to help keep it in business, but if the pizzas are out of the freezer I may as well just go to Iceland and buy my own!

If you haven't tried it, please tell me where to get the best pizza in the area around Lower Marsh and The Cut.

Thanks
Sunday 13 May 2007 6.09am
Why don't you try the Castello Restaurant in Jamaica Road, there is a thread somewhere about it, it's very good ( understatement of the year!)
Sunday 13 May 2007 8.39am
They are not frozen pizzas - I have been but not to have a pizza. They looked good and are cheap so I would say give it a go.
Sunday 13 May 2007 7.07pm
We quite like Paradiso along the Cut, but I am no pizza expert. It is a nice family-runplace with good service. I queried a bottle of wine and it was instantly replaced, in fact I think it was the spicy olives made the wine taste funny, but there was no mucking around. That attitude is worth quite a bit.
Monday 14 May 2007 6.44am
and in Castellos you can see straight into the kitchen and see the food being prepared, i always go and thank the chefs because the food is good, i have never eaten there and thought euch..
Monday 14 May 2007 5.23pm
Best pizza's I've ever had (although yet to try Ray's) are La Dolce Vita on London Road.

No relationship to La Dolce Vita.....
Wednesday 23 May 2007 2.37pm
OK, I've now tried it for myself and can tell/warn you about my experience last night.

First, the bad news:
-- food took quite a long time to arrive, even though they were not busy
-- the pizza-bases were very doughy, so something is wrong with their recipe
-- my companion's 'Arrabiata' pizza tasted mainly of anchovies
-- I got a Funghi pizza instead of the Prosciutto pizza that I ordered
-- the salad we ordered did not arrive at all

It seems that the place is not even trying to be Italian:
-- the menu said that the Prosciutto pizza would be made with 'Virginia ham', despite the fact that one of the starters had Parma ham!
-- of the four kinds of beer available, only the Peroni was Italian; one was bad Belgian (Stella) and one was bad American (Budweiser), and the other was German
-- the mineral water was French (Perrier)

The good news is:
-- it's not expensive (the Perrier was an amazing 1 for a large bottle -- a mistake?)
-- they were friendly
-- it is completely unpretentious: no table-cloths, loud Euro-pop, and a flat-screen TV playing on the end wall
-- a few tables outside

Conclusion: don't go for the food, go for the weird Euro atmosphere! Maybe the usual chef was not there last night, and the pizza and service would be better on another occasion, but if you don't want to risk it, stay away.
Friday 13 July 2007 9.12am
Is the pizza here any good?

[threads merged - JH]
Friday 13 July 2007 11.12am
Does anyone have a view on the takeaway pizza place on Long Lane, near the junction with Crosby Row?
Saturday 18 August 2007 2.29pm
Ray's was repossessed yesterday according to the bailiff's notice on the door.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: