Football in Potters Fields - abuse?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Saturday 12 May 2007 3.39pm
This afternoon I was in Potters Field park when along came a big group of youths, trainee footballers, and proceeded to mark off the whole of one field of grass. I've seen them training here before but never so obviously. It began raining so I left. But I can't believe this has been ok'd by the park authorities since:
a. it takes up precious space in what is still a relatively small park, and also during primetime weekend;
b. it places football boot studs tearing up still very new grass;
If anyone involved in running the park sees this comment, please take action and / or let me know why this is acceptable. Thanks.
Saturday 12 May 2007 8.04pm
As far as I can see people playing football have as much right to use the park as anyone else.

What's the big deal? It is our national sport after all.
Saturday 12 May 2007 8.45pm
I saw a small group playing football there when it was packed. The ball kept hitting people. Bunch of idiots.
Sunday 13 May 2007 12.26am
frankly i prefer these boys than the toffs in the marquee we can expect now the license is granted ...
Sunday 13 May 2007 9.27am
I'm sure there have been lads kicking a ball around on Potters' Fields since medieval times... long may it continue.

Unless of course we want SE1 to turn into Knightsbridge where there are bye-laws against farting!
Sunday 13 May 2007 9.29am
There's nothing wrong with it if there's room. If the ball ever hits me it's going in the river.
Sunday 13 May 2007 10.32am
its a park...people play footie in parks. so what?
Sunday 13 May 2007 11.25am
I'm all for people playing football, just not in parks that are too small to allow it, and not in brand new parks where the new turf is still settling in and thus totally unsuitable for being ripped up by football boot studs(in fact no normal park should have to put up with that).
Monday 14 May 2007 11.13am
For those who fell to understand that in this particular case is not just a group of kids kicking a ball but a full football match taking place every weekend for at least 4 hours at time! taking precious green space. Although I understand the argument of keeping the kids out of trouble while playing footie still Potters Field Park is not the place for this kind of training.
Monday 14 May 2007 1.28pm
Just spoken on the phone (7407-4701) to the man who is supposed to be running the show at Potters Field. It was a typical frustrating conversation with a modern bureaucrat: he first in denial it was happening, then saying it was normal kickabout, then saying that he basically had no power to do anything about it; then grudgingly conceding that he could try to investigate who's organising it. And me saying: you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes, just have someone tun up there on the weekend, early afternoon, and tell these people that it's not the time or the place to do this sort of antisocial thing. But that course of action was far too commonsensical for our desk-bound bureaucrat. Pathetic! I even offered to report it myself next time it happens, but he had no phone number to call ... and this is what passes for management these days?!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: