Bad news for Southwark Roads

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 8 August 2003 9.39am
Just got this in the email this morning after weeks of email hounding everyone. This came from a council member. Im am so happy that all my council tax and road tax and petrol tax is being spent so on many other fantasic things other than the basic infrastructure of the country. Warm fuzzy feelings....

Southwark roads have had no funding for many years and the Executive member for transport is trying to address this. However currently there is no budget for road repairs. I will speak to him on his return to ask him to look at this particular spot and if there is any chance of moving some money. However to be honest I'm not that optimistic.
Friday 8 August 2003 11.16am
Do they have a budget for suspension repairs?
Friday 8 August 2003 11.36am
I doubt that but when you issue them a county court summons, they really dont have a foot to stand on. Wanting to spend money and being forced to spend money are different, they come out of different budgets.
Friday 8 August 2003 11.37am
Shocking. Will the council have a budget once there is a serious accident because of the appalling condition of the roads in southwark?
Monday 11 August 2003 12.44pm
Funny how they've got the budget to put those lumps and bumps in the road to deter speeding yet they leave the holes and cracks to get worse!!!!
Monday 11 August 2003 1.02pm
Yes, this just doesn't make sense. The council must have spent loads of money implementing the controlled parking scheme just outside the CCZ. We have had new road markings, new pavements, new junctions, new street furniture and more. All this must have cost more than filling a few holes would cost.....
Monday 11 August 2003 1.23pm
These were funded by Transport for London. Mayor Ken gave Southwark (and Lambeth) substantial sums of money for works outside the CCZ boundary
- "in an attempt to buy-off local opposition"
- "as part of a package of ameliorative works to reduce any impact of displaced traffic and parking"

(delete as applicable depending on your personal attitude to CCZ.)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: