Oyster card payment problems

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 22 May 2007 5.23pm
Hello. This is not strictly an SE1 issue, although my travel around SE1 is hampered because of it, so maybe it's ok to post the question here! anyway...

Does anyone know who the payment service provider for Transport for London's Oyster system is? For some reason, they are blocking my card. I've asked TFL to tell me who they are, so that I can ask them what the problem is, but they say they cannot do that. TFL say there is nothing they can do about my blocked card, which I find hard to believe. Their solution is for me to use a different card (clearly it's not unreasonable to expect people to open a new bank account, just to pay for their oyster card!)

Are they not obliged to tell me, under the data protection act (since the payment service provider must be holding information about me)?

any other ideas?

Thanks.

-D.
Tuesday 22 May 2007 5.55pm
I'm not a lawyer but I wouldnt have thought they would be obliged to release information like that under the DPA - that only covers information that they (TFL) hold about you, and it doesn't sound as if there is any. They aren't obliged to tell you which companies they employ, and I don't see that it would be much help. The card processing company won't hold information about you - they contact your bank and it is your bank who fail to authorise the payment, not them - they just connect TFL to your bank.

So have you tried talking to your bank? They would be able to see that you had tried to use the card & it wasn't authorised. I would have thought they would be the best place to start because it was their decision not to issue an authorisation code.

Also, surely you can just take cash out and use that to top up your Oyster card until you get the credit card sorted?

Hope you can get it sorted out.
Tuesday 22 May 2007 6.10pm
You've not tried making two successive payments before the first has cleared. If you do their system won't accept it. I had the same issue and after discussing it with them I left it 24hrs and it was fine.
Wednesday 23 May 2007 10.15am
boroughbloke - nope, this is not the problem. it's a longstanding problem.

JaneS - i've spoken to my bank, and they can see the requests and have authorised the payments. however, at the tfl end the payment is not being authorised, so it must be being blocked by the payment service provider. payment service providers do more than just act as a go-between. they have their own systems which check for fraudulent behaviour/fake cards - that sort of thing; i do not know whether or not they store information about me.

-D.
Wednesday 23 May 2007 11.02am
I seem to remember the name Keith Prowse appearing on my credit card statements for Oyster transactions.

Are they just the ticket agency or could they be the ones blocking your payments?
Wednesday 23 May 2007 11.06am
May be its the type of card you have. Solo/Electron are not taken as payments.
Wednesday 23 May 2007 10.22pm
why don't you make an FoI enquiry to TFL. It's free and they should give you an answer in 20 days, unless they don't hold the information...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/foi/

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: