Elephant and Castle Pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 22 May 2007 5.34pm
Charles Edwin Elphinstone and his wife Alice ran the Elephant and Castle pub in the 1930s. May have even been before that as a daughter Kathleen Florence was born in Southwork 1894

Would anyone know how I could find a picture of the pub??

Many Thanks
Mary
Tuesday 22 May 2007 5.47pm
There is this one on the "Ideal Homes" South London local history website:

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/southwark/walworth/walworth-road-01.htm

The famous photographer Bert Hardy took some great photos of the area in 1948, but the contemporary captions are minimal. There is a mini-gallery on Southwark council's website:

This appears to be taken from the roof of the pub while much of the surrounding area was still bomb sites:
http://streaming.into.org.uk/lite/access/hardy/hardy16.htm
And might this even be the bar inside?

http://streaming.into.org.uk/lite/access/hardy/hardy17.htm
Tuesday 22 May 2007 6.12pm
Wonderful pictures-many thanks. Just read the birth certificate of Kathleen in 1894 and the address said they6 live at 24 Holland Street.

When I googled for the Elephant and Castle pub it was on 40 Holland Street, Kensington. Would that be the location of the pub in the pictures??
Tuesday 22 May 2007 8.06pm
The Elephant & Castle was once a popular name for pubs and hence that there was one in Kensington is not surprising.
Wednesday 23 May 2007 6.44am
The Elephant and Castle on Holland St in Kensington is still thriving. But there's no way it is the one in the pictures.
Wednesday 23 May 2007 10.30am
I have just at the photo of the pub viewed from Walworth road, I am a bit puzzled, looking down walworth road,the pub would not have been there as the railway bridge surely would have been seen? and I think the pub was only visible after walking around the corner...but then I am getting addled brained!
Wednesday 23 May 2007 3.50pm
You are all so helpful. Welcome to my world Jan-confusion is my second name.

Thanks Lots!!
Mary
Wednesday 23 May 2007 9.37pm
Jan the old one wrote:
I have just at the photo of the pub viewed from Walworth road, I am a bit puzzled, looking down walworth road,the pub would not have been there as the railway bridge surely would have been seen? and I think the pub was only visible after walking around the corner...but then I am getting addled brained!
Before the site was cleared c.1960 - the Walworth Road continued north of the railway bridge to New Kent Road.
Thursday 24 May 2007 6.56am
I told you Young Rabbie...I am addled brained.. I was trying to visualize standing outside Baldwins ( the old one on the corner of elephant road) looking under the bridge and could only remember the old graveyard and watchtower, I did not realise that New kent road was much past the old trocadera..:-)
Friday 19 December 2008 4.43pm
Now find out that in 1895 Charles Edwin Elphinstone was at The Peacock Pub-24 Holland St.-same address that his daughter was born at!

Thank you everyone for their replies. Wishing all a wonderful Christmas season and All The Best, All The Time in 2009!!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network