Bermondsey Street Thames Water works

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 24 May 2007 2.19pm
Hi Everyone

It came to my attention yesterday that there is to be major works done on Bermondsey Street during the summer and beyond. Up until yesterday the only people informed were the commercial premises on the street.
It is imperative that the residents have their say as there are more residents than commercial.

I have been told that Thames Water are proposing to only work at the weekends starting at 8am every Saturday and Sunday. As a resident who has suffered from sleep deprevation I think this is going too far. Every resident I have spoken to is in agreement and has said we need to have OUR say.

There is a meeting at 10am 29th May at the Council Chambers 151 Walworth Road SE17 1RY.

Please do come along. If you cannot make it please send an email to: stating your case.

Thursday 24 May 2007 2.35pm
This is happening everywhere:

They're currently doing the weekend working on Long Lane. Perhaps someone living there can comment on how the work has affected them.

You can find out when they're working on your street here:
(though I can't get it to work at the moment)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 24 May 2007 2.51pm
It's been really nice having the road closed at the weekends - the street works are during the day and at night we've been spared the almost constant flow of emergency vehicles.
Thursday 24 May 2007 3.06pm
what always bugs me at week-ends, that when essential work is carried out they start at 6am then finish at lunchtime..why cant they start later and go home tea time?

Residents should be informed at least then it may be possible to go and stay somewhere else!
Thursday 24 May 2007 5.30pm
James Hatts wrote:
They're currently doing the weekend working on Long Lane. Perhaps someone living there can comment on how the work has affected them.

Very mixed blessing - no traffic, but lots of noise, vibration and loads of dust - plus impromptu, noisey games of football across Long Lane in the early hours of the morning. [and no, I wasn't taking part...]

It does appear that the same sections have been dug up several weekends in a row.
Thursday 24 May 2007 10.00pm
They are doing these works on The Cut, and it's a nightmare. I'm not sure I can say anymore than that I hate Thames Water, otherwise I will descend into angry ranting.
Friday 25 May 2007 10.39pm
KarenF, We were told about this work months ago. The work needs to be done or we will be complaining that there are leaks everywhere in the next few years. i don't mean to sound rude but I'm confused as to what your issue is...
Saturday 26 May 2007 5.29pm
Damned if they do it because everyone complains about the noise and/or disruption.

Damned if they don't because everyone complains about hose pipe bans because of leaky mains and even more when old mains burst and their homes and/or businesses are flooded.

Damned if they do it in the day during the week because businesses complain about the loss of access and drivers complain about the horrendous traffic congestion caused by closing busy roads.

Damned if they do it at night on any day or at weekends because residents complain about noise.

When, exactly, are they supposed to do it?
Saturday 26 May 2007 7.00pm

I wanted other residents to know about the works. It seemed very odd that not all residents were informed about this project.

I do agree that this is much needed work but do not like the idea that the Council or Thames Water think they can do this sort of work so early every weekend without informing all residents.

There should be a compromise with every party involved. Starting at 8am every weekend is not on.

If these works need to be done at the weekend it needs to be done at a mutually agreed time.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: