Early Morning Sweepers..

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 15 August 2003 12.54pm
I have received a note through my letter box from someone who is obviously fed up with the early hour that you can hear the large street sweeping vehicles.... I have heard them go along between 4 and 5 down the New Kent Road. The writer lives in Great Dover Street.

The writer of the letter stated that when he contacted the council they told him that the lorries don't operate at that time and even if they did no one else has complained! - slight contradiction of terms!

In all honesty the council cant win on this one, if they dont sweep until a later time they would hold up the traffic...more pollution for us who live on the edge of the congestion zone.

Has anyone else heard these sweeper vehicles? and take it from me they are noisy in the middle of the night..

jan
Friday 15 August 2003 2.25pm
It's kind of a comforting noise I think.

but you're righ Jan, damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Sunday 17 August 2003 12.02am
there's one that goes along harper road anytime between 11pm and 2am and it's well-noisy. maybe it's just a figment of my imagination if the council doesn't sweep at that time though! Can't really see when else they could do it though. of course, if people didn't drop so much litter and empty rubbish from their cars then there may be less need for the council to clear up after them, and for us all to pay for it. but that's another story so i won't go on about it... again!
Monday 18 August 2003 9.44am
It's a shame that they have to clean at those anti-social times, but maybe that is the only time they can do it effectively. It's a tough one.
Tuesday 19 August 2003 8.51pm
I'm with the council on this.

Leave for work on New Kent Road between 4.15 and 5.00am, in two years never seen a sweeper !

Bill
Wednesday 20 August 2003 11.12am
Bill you'll never believe this..last night or should I say....4am a sweeper was going along back and forth New Kent Road, I often hear it, but with this debate I got up and checked the time. gieve me your mobile number and I will ring you when I hear it! :-)

jan
Thursday 4 September 2003 11.03am
Bill , the last two mornings a sweeper has gone it's noisy way back and forth, when I got out of bed the wretched thing was going over the flyover at 3. 45 AM....could they not wait until 5.30 at least?

jan
Monday 8 September 2003 9.18am
Jan,

Like yourself we also live just off the New Kent Road and can see the flyover from our window.

However, until we cease to accept that its OK to drop litter ANY place, then the Council will have to spend too much of our hard earned money cleaning up as well as waking some of us in the middle of the night.

I suggest we all turn our attention on those who cause the problems... the litterers.

How about if the fine for littering was a month with the night clean up crews?

Alec
Monday 15 September 2003 10.05am
Hi Alex,

that's sounds a great idea! why don't they have litter campaigns like they had in the fifties? I remember them well, and still cant even bring myself to throw a sweet wrapper away...I come home sometimes and clear out a bag that resembles a rubbish bin! the joke is my housekeeping is nowhere near as keen...

one campaign showed a living room all tidy, then people started dropping litter until it literally reached the ceiling, then a 'plummy' voiceover announced ' would you drop litter in your home?' well it worked on us working class kids in the fifties anyway!

Lots of litter in southwark comes from car drivers passing through.
we have a glut of take aways in Southwark, and all night shops which make the problem so much worse.
I tried to count the eating places just in the Old Kent Road and gave up after fifteen!

jan
Monday 15 September 2003 10.17am
In Holland they have the feared and all powerful litter police....

they have the power to go through litter and to give pretty hefty fines to people dropping litter. It is also possible to fine takeaways if there is a lot of litter and nothing is done to aleviate the problem like the takeaway providing bins etc...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: