Borough Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 6 June 2007 10.06pm
Hi,

As an anthropologist, I am interested in the cultural dynamics of the urban food-market. During the next three months I will do research at Borough Market to find out and shed new light on why the market has an important cultural value for London. I will especially look at the market as a unique space, thus including both traders and costumers.

For this research I would very much like to get in touch with people who go to the Borough Market sometimes.
If you are interested in talking to me about the market and at the same time help me with my academic research, I would appreciate it very much.

You can always e-mail me at freek.janssens@stilnovo.org
or leave a reply here.

Thank you in advance,

Freek Janssens
Thursday 7 June 2007 12.27pm
Why don't you conduct some research into a market such as East Street where real people go, and is part of the local community rather than Borough Market which is for toffs and tourists?
Thursday 7 June 2007 4.50pm
now thats a bit of an unfair generalisation...plenty of locals use the market and know the secret of getting there early before the tourists arrive.
Friday 8 June 2007 7.44am
Hi mickyBoy_se1,

Thank you for your message.

I agree that Borough Market is different from some other markets. You mention the Borough Market as being detatched from its surrounding area, which is an interesting point of view.

The reason I am interested in Borough Market is just because it creates its own (unique?) cultural space. Of course, then, it can be very fruitful to combine my findings on Borough Market with another, different market.

I think you have an interesting opinion on a fascinating aspect of Borough Market. Therefor, I would like to talk to you about it some time.

boroughpaul, if you would like to explain to me how local people try to find their own 'entrance' into the market, it would be really great.

Thanks, Freek
Friday 8 June 2007 8.50am
Quote:
boroughpaul, if you would like to explain to me how local people try to find their own 'entrance' into the market, it would be really great.
I think he said the 'cultural dynamics' of this are 'get there early.'
Friday 8 June 2007 9.23am
I'd be happy to chat to you about it in the name of research... Am there most Saturdays anyway, usually to be found in the Monmouth queue...
Friday 8 June 2007 4.49pm
yeah nothing too secret about the get there early thing! before 11 on a saturday its ok, but afterwards its manic. if you pair an early shop at the market with breakfast at brindisa you cant go wrong!
Friday 8 June 2007 7.18pm
now thats a bit of an unfair generalisation...plenty of locals use the market and know the secret of getting there early before the tourists arrive.

It might seem unfair, but as I observed on the previous posts related to the concerns of locals it is how it is perceived. I guess it depends on your concept of 'locals', many I know feel it is '...not for them.' A discussion which appears not up for debate judging from the response to your previous thread Boroughpaul.
Friday 8 June 2007 7.24pm
Well I'm a local and I'd say the fruit and veg there is very competitive with the shops around.
Friday 8 June 2007 7.57pm
Tolstoy wrote:
snip
It might seem unfair, but as I observed on the previous posts related to the concerns of locals it is how it is perceived....snip

It is how it is perceived by whom? I'm a local. I'm neither a toff nor a tourist. Yes a large number of non-locals shop there. Yes it can be frustrating at times because of the crowds. But of course its those non-locals who make a market of that scale and breadth possible. I buy fruit, veg, health foods and flowers there. I don't feel ripped off. Just one local person's thoughts.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: