Is anyone else excited about the reopening of the RFH?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Rambling Phil Friday 8 June 2007 3.05pm
What are you looking forward to most?

What's your best memory of it?

Advertisement

Tolstoy Sunday 10 June 2007 7.19pm
Motorhead on the 15th!

Getting past the old folk on the doors at half time for the main act for free, since they never checked your tickets:)
williamn Sunday 10 June 2007 9.59pm
The old folk are no longer on the doors, they have a more nimble team now!

Am looking forward to the Rite of Spring in July with 3D glasses and visual effects!
redshoes Monday 11 June 2007 10.14am
I went to the reopening on the weekend and it was poorly signed. We spent 30 mins looking for the act we wanted to see and only caught the last 2 songs.
longlaner Monday 11 June 2007 11.10am
Too many good memories to list. It's all pretty exciting, though Time Out has possibly gone overboard.
KM Monday 11 June 2007 11.21am
As an avid concert goer (200 a year) I'm really looking forward to trying out the new RFH but, as I was one of the few who loved the old sound (you could really 'hear' the music if you avoided the back of the terrace under the balcony), it's with some trepidation.

Favourite memories of the old hall: Janet Baker, Benjamin Britten, Janet Baker, Igor Stravinsky, Janet Baker and the first time I head Bernard Haitink conduct the then matchless LPO in a Mahler symphony!

Easy access to the RFH and Barbican Hall are the only things I'm going to miss about living in SE1!
Reg Lynch Monday 11 June 2007 11.39am
The new RFH looks fantastic. Despite what Michael Lynch says it is not yet finished but it will be soon. The new carpet is a great choice and the building is now much lighter and open. It has quite a Scandinavian feel. The river terraces are a great success. We booked 3 dinners in Skylon during the next month. I hope it's as good as it looks.

The only thing I don't like is the glass portacabin (as locals call it) by the railway tracks. It looks very squeezed in and it's clear that the rationale for it is just to increase commercial space and not make room for offices as the offices only take up a very small part of it. There used to be a wonderful of the London Eye as you walked down Belvedere Road toward Parilament and I often saw photographers there taking a photo of the full moon over/inside the Eye. Passersby would stop to admire the view. The glass portacabin cuts into the view and this is no longer possible.
williamn Monday 11 June 2007 12.07pm
I think the offices take up at least half of it. Huge amounts of space in the RFH have been freed up by moving the offices out.

Skylon is very good, though the service a litttle slow. I'm sure it will improve over time.

The sound is still very immediate - I dont think anyone who enjoyed the old acoustic will be disappointed.
Reg Lynch Monday 11 June 2007 1.16pm
No way the ofices take up anywhere near half - I've been inside. And most of them are under the railway arches so could have been moved out of the RFH without the portacabin being built.
williamn Monday 11 June 2007 1.25pm
So have I! The offices take up the top 2 floors, with shops on the ground floor. In the arches are shope/restaurants together with production facilities for the RFH.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions