Primary Schools - Tooley Street?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 10 June 2007 10.52am
Hello

Advice/opinions/experiences sought please... I'm new to Tooley Street and looking for a Y1 place for my son from Sept.
He's quite a gentle soul, has aspergers tendencies, is exceptionally able... maybe a bit of an 'odd bod' in some ways (?)
We're looking for a Christian school, the smaller the better... somewhere with love, warmth, community and possible an emphasis on music...
any ideas anyone?
thanks - katrina
PS: Love this site!!!!!!!
Monday 11 June 2007 8.13pm
There's Southwark Cathedral School - website is

http://www.cathedral.southwark.sch.uk/

I have no experience of the school as my daughter is only one year old but I've started looking already!

Good luck with your search.

Mrs. Erniebug
Monday 11 June 2007 9.49pm
Check out Southwark Council's website for the local schools ... Cathedral and Boutcher are good (C of E); there are also a few Catholic ones dotted around locally (St Joseph's - I think - next to Cathedral) ... and then contact them to arrange a visit and find out how you apply for a Y1 place.
We've just gone through the application process to get our son into reception. In a nutshell you choose your top 4 schools and apply through Southwark Council ... Church schools have their own application form as well ... Southwark Council then tell you what school your child has been allotted - whether this process applies to getting your child into Y1 I don't know.
Good luck!
Tuesday 12 June 2007 8.10am
there is also St James C of E by St James's church in Jamaica Road which is a fairly small school. As Julie said i would arrange to visit the schools in your area to look at them and to allow you to ask questions.
Friday 15 June 2007 8.04pm
thank you all so much!!!!!!
I did go to Boutcher but they told me they had a policy to discourage people from looking around... I found that a worry!
K
Friday 15 June 2007 9.38pm
it all depends where you live and how oversubscribed the schools are.
you need to apply with the council as well as the church schools. it seems that the council decides, which place is allocated, but i have my doubts about that.
as you are applying for y1 rather than reception, i am not sure how the process works.(usually the deadline is january.)
cathedral school is (obviously) affiliated with soutrhwark cathedral and there is a sunday school as far as i know, but i don't know the details exactly.
go and have a look at the schools and don't be put off by grumpy staff telling you stuff.
the school is only as good as the parents and pupils who go there.have a look!
good luck!
k

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network