What was on the More London site previously

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 10 June 2007 12.07pm
I was wondering if anybody can help & tell me what was on the site of More London & the Potters field
car park site.

I would imagine they would have been the usual mix of warehouses found along the Thames but doe's anybody know when the sites were cleared & why it has taken so long for them to be developed? I seem to remember the sites being empty for years & years .
Sunday 10 June 2007 5.08pm
Wharves with warehousing up until the 1960s:
Stanton's. Running east of Butler's Wharf, I think the sequence was:
Symon's
Gun & Shot
South Thames
Griffin
Mark Brown's

There are pictures of the former wharves at:

http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/server/show/ConNarrative.66/chapterId/1603/The-riverside-wharves.html

I think one reason why the sites missed out on the 1980s investment boom was because the Kuwaiti owned St Martin's property corporation came up with some spectacularly bad pastiche architecture for various schemes on the site - one a replica of the Palace of Westminster, and one resembling St Mark's Square, Venice IIRC -that ministers in the then Conservative Government rejected.
Sunday 10 June 2007 5.59pm
Thanks.

Do you know when they were demolished??
Sunday 10 June 2007 11.17pm
Very interesting website, Rabbie. Aren't we talking West of Butler's Wharf though?

The other things on the More London/Potters Fields site included the Tooley St Hotel, a hostel for homeless men that apparently was pretty dire, some council housing, and the William Curtis Ecological Park. I remember it being gradually cleared in the mid-80's - is my memory correct? In those days I couldn't have imagined it being as it is now. It was abandonned and forlorn and forsaken. Probably why I liked it and spent hours wandering around and sitting on the riverside and the old jetty now also demolished.
Monday 11 June 2007 6.35am
The Unladylike Ms. Jo wrote:
Very interesting website, Rabbie. Aren't we talking West of Butler's Wharf though?

Oops - I meant to type east of Hay's Wharf!!!

(so, yes, obviously all of these wharves were west of Tower Bridge Road/Butler's Wharf)
Monday 11 June 2007 6.54am
starting at london bridge you had :

fennings wharf
topping wharf
hays wharf as today but previously st olavs church
chambrlains wharf
bonded warehouses known collectivel as cotton's and depot wharf
the main hays wharf and dock
battlebridge stairs (only pedestrian access to docks)
willson's wharf
griffins wharf
gun & shot wharf
symon's harf
stanton's wharf
sharps wharf
here joined stoney lane from tooley street and pickle herring street ran east to tower bridge
thames wharf
pickle herring stairs - access via vine street with vine buildings and the bethel estate
pickle erring upper wharf
pickle herring lower wharf
fremntle wharf
mark brown's wharf
here potters field ran to tooley street
on all of the land to tooley street from the river were various warehouses - the car park site had in the late 19th century been a dyeing works first.
on the tooley street part of potters field park, a disused churchyard, were a firestation, lodge and the rectory for st mary magdalen church all demolished by ww1. the empty space opposite st saviours and st olavs grammar school was a library.
davis wharf and hartley's wharf were largely/partially demolished for the building of tower bridge.
across tower bridg approach, anchor brewery, butler's wharf etc ar largely as they were.

you can view all the maps and 'photos of the area at the local studies library at john harvard library, borough high street - closed wednesdays and sundays.
Sunday 8 August 2010 7.14pm
Lang Rabbie wrote:
I think one reason why the sites missed out on the 1980s investment boom was because the Kuwaiti owned St Martin's property corporation came up with some spectacularly bad pastiche architecture for various schemes on the site - one a replica of the Palace of Westminster, and one resembling St Mark's Square, Venice IIRC -that ministers in the then Conservative Government rejected.

I've just come across this fairly recent blog post which shows these schemes:
http://www.andrewcusack.com/2010/05/09/london-bridge-city/
and thought it was worth bumping this old thread

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 9 August 2010 2.29pm
There is a great pre-war picture of the area posted by Mulattokid on Skyscrapercity a few days ago, if you follow the link provided: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=407549&page=587
Friday 20 September 2013 11.26am
Film of Mark Brown's Wharf:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/londonmetropolitanarchives/9815408485/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 20 September 2013 12.03pm
Well we may have missed out on a bad pastiche of St Mark's Square, but we are now getting a faux campanile on the new development by Tower Bridge.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: