Gormley Figures Petition

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 10 June 2007 6.01pm
There is a petition on the number 10 site to retain the Gormley figures permanently. Here is the link if you are interested in signing up: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/GormleyFigures/

Related news & features

Sunday 10 June 2007 7.37pm
Mightn't they seem more powerful and moving as a fleeting episode in the South Bank's long history of change?
TAK
Sunday 10 June 2007 7.45pm
I love them, but I think it's great that it is only on for a short period of time. This adds excitement and makes me watch out for them each time I am around that area.
I really would love another project by a different artist to take place next year and the year thereafter - the annual Southbank Summer Exhibition.
Sunday 10 June 2007 7.48pm
Another artist isn't gonna put sculpures on rooftops though - they wouldn't be in the way.
Sunday 10 June 2007 10.53pm
These body casts are not neutral; they are extremely loaded. Much was made years ago about the casting process involving the artist's body, and it was a legitimate and interesting idea. The present siting is also interesting ( except for the ghastly siting above the wonderful 'green wall' of the National Theatre. They are not just human figure casts, they are unavoidably identified with Gormly, and someone somewhere has already commented on the extraordinary arrogance involved in this project. Lets just say that this is a transitory idea, good for it's time, but at the end of it, the Gormly body casts should go. I agree with Walworther " more powerful and moving as a fleeting episode"' . If they stay, I think they will become devalued and finally oppressive..
Arnie.
Monday 11 June 2007 9.23am
Why are we petitioning the Prime Minister on something like this? Shouldn't we be commissioning the Arts Council or whoever is responsible for the installation?
Monday 11 June 2007 9.27am
As a temporary exhibit, I love it. I think if they stay it would be really tacky.
Monday 11 June 2007 9.31am
beetroot wrote:
As a temporary exhibit, I love it. I think if they stay it would be really tacky.

I agree.
Monday 11 June 2007 5.18pm
Chat. What do people think of Antony Gormleys statues of himself, spoiling the coastline and other places? I think his work is ugly, and all about 'self'. I think sculptors/artists should MAKE the work themselves, not factory-farm it out. Too much credit is given to rubbish! Most of the sculptors I know sculpt the work themselves. I married one.
Monday 11 June 2007 6.19pm
As a temporary exhibit great, but plesae don't clutter permanently.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: