Urgent - to all dog owners

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 12 June 2007 8.33am
Southwark Council are attempting to put through a ruling that all dogs have to be kept on leads within all Southwark Parks. You need to act urgently to try to stop this. Check out all the info at www.myspace.com/southwarkhowl & please act soon to stop this crazy new ruling.
Wednesday 13 June 2007 9.45am
Sounds good to me. What do we have to do if we want to support "this crazy new ruling"?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 13 June 2007 10.04am
Quite right Ivanhoe. The parks are primarily for people not dogs - not forgetting the inevitable mounds of dog poo and the consequent danger of resulting infection, particularly for young children. Mind your step.
Wednesday 13 June 2007 10.51am
Presumably they want to bring this rule in because people let their dogs run around and scare people... I have nothing against dogs running round parks if they're not scary ones, but it's not great being chased by a slavering beast when all you wanted to do was sit and knit/read/picnic etc.
Wednesday 13 June 2007 11.00am
Ivanhoe wrote:
Sounds good to me. What do we have to do if we want to support "this crazy new ruling"?

Quite. The only sense in which I feel uneasy about this is because it is yet another bit of legislation imposed to try to control our 'bad behaviour'. The energy involved in policing this regulation would be better spent on education - running responsible dog owner / dog training classes - but then I suppose a rule would have to be brought in to compel dogs owners to attend...
Wednesday 13 June 2007 11.09am
why can't they do what some other boroughs have done where they enclose an area specifically for exercising dogs and they have to be on a lead in the rest of the park or else face a fine?
Wednesday 13 June 2007 11.24am
The Friends of Southwark Park brought this up at the Bermondsey Community Council meeting last night. They showed a notice that is going up around the park. The Council has nothing to do with the notices, and encouraged people to take them down. It was also reported by the Councillors that Southwark is not looking to change the rules.
Wednesday 13 June 2007 11.36am
Riverite wrote:
not forgetting the inevitable mounds of dog poo and the consequent danger of resulting infection, particularly for young children

Dogs on leads still poo... I think.

Therefore we need not only dogs on leads, but also wearing a nappy. Either that or put the children on leads to keep them away from dog poo.
Wednesday 13 June 2007 11.37am
Sarah,
I am a first class dog nut , I love all animals but dogs are my favourite. When my dog was alive she would poop in the garden which I picked up straight away, if on the street I would clear that too. You probably do the same, unfortunately there are lots of ownwers who don't.

I have been pinned to the park seat by massive dogs trying to kiss me to bits while their owner looks on saying ' he's just being friendly' as if you really want a dopey slobby dogs mouth inches from yours.

I love to see dogs running free of the leash though. I think the council
should compromise and in parks install large tennis court type areas with a door where owners can let their dogs run without a leash. The vogue for large agressive dogs ( their owners have diddly brains) shows no sign of abating. Having said that the most dangerous dog I knew was a border collie and he had acres of land to run free..
And who would enforce the dog on a leash rule?
Can dogs still roam free at Greenwich?
or blackheath?
Wednesday 13 June 2007 11.38am
i was once knocked off my bike in a southwark park by a charging great dane and went flying dover the handle bars and rolled down a gravel embankment, not the most wonderful way to start the day. i was on a cycle path too! it ain't the dogs to blame, its the owners, they should know how ther dog is going to react to people/ bikes etc before they let them off their lead.

well, that's my opinion anyway
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network