Bathroom

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 13 June 2007 9.39am
We are considering installing a new bathroom. It's tiny and we want to replace the bath with a shower. Can anyone give us a sense of how much a new bathroom with fittings and plumbing and decorations cost. Maybe you have just installed a new bathroom? And do you need planning permission to put a new bathroom in? I have the figure of 3000-4000 in my head. Am I close? Does anyone know someone who can do the job well, fast and not cost an arm and a leg!
Regards,
Goldfish
Wednesday 13 June 2007 9.46am
Ooh, I want to do exactly the same thing. I am pretty sure that you wouldn't need planning permission, unless you're a tenant, of course.

So far I have been unable to find anyone who would do it at any price so if you come up with someone, Goldfish, please let me know. Much obliged!
Wednesday 13 June 2007 9.59am
You don't need planning permission ever to install a bathroom. Obviously if you're a tenant, you need to ask the landlord, but that's not 'planning permission'. If you're doing structural work (moving supporting walls etc.) then you may need to have the work done under building regulations, but this is unlikely if you're just doing a bathroom re-fit.

Your 3-4k estimate sounds about right, but it depends as always with what you're having done. A new bathroom suite is cheap, unless you want a designer one - 500 will get you a decent one from B&Q. Budget another 500 for tiles and materials, then on top of that are new fittings like a shower etc. and screen.

We just paid about 3k labour to have our bathroom donw, but that included a lot of work, stripping back to bare walls, underfloor heating etc.

If you search the posts, you will find the details of my builder, PM me if you can't find it.
Wednesday 13 June 2007 10.08am
Thanks JGarcia, shall try to find the thread.Will let you know if I can't.
LMartinet lets try to share info, if you get a good quote let me know and vise versa!
Wednesday 13 June 2007 10.16am
Hi GF

There are a number of websites which can provide quotes on-line. Here are a couple...

Quoter 1

Quoter 2

I have not tried this method myself - but it may be of interest
Wednesday 13 June 2007 1.13pm
If the building is Listed then some internal modifications can be subject to Listed Building Consent, e.g. doors, pipework through walls, windows etc.

All domestic electrical work done nowadays, except very minor works such as replacing a socket in a non-'wet' room e.g. living room) has to conform with Part P of the Building Regulations. Any electrical work in a bathroom has to conform. To ensure this you have to either employ someone who is registered with BRE Certification, British Standards Institution, ELECSA Ltd, NICEIC or NAPIT, or else do the work yourself and pay for the local council's building control inspector to check your work.
Thursday 11 June 2009 1.00pm
Price sounds about right for something relatively straightforward. Easy to start mounting up costs with expensive taps and tiles though.

Bathstore at Vauxhall usually have some good offers on bathroom suites and do free delivery. I'd also recommend a trip to CP Hart's warehouse at the back of their showroom on Hercules Road. It's just off Carlisle Lane, through a small back yard and into the back of the railway arch. It's full of ex-display, discontinued lines and cancelled orders at a fraction of the cost - however, bear in mind that at CP Hart prices, a 'fraction' still equates to standard Bathstore prices. Simon who runs it usually has a fair idea of what's coming in if you don't see what you're looking for on your first visit.
Thursday 11 June 2009 1.02pm
(For full disclosure I have deleted the post before Emma's which bumped this very old thread as it was suspiciously spam-like)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 11 June 2009 4.43pm
Well spotted James, hadn't noticed it was an old one!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: