Wind turbines

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 14 June 2007 9.09am
Not having much close association with wind turbines, if they are mounted above flats won't the residents be driven mad by the noise?'

Related news & features

Friday 15 June 2007 2.30pm
no
Friday 15 June 2007 2.39pm
... and if that turbine is only powerful enough to power four kettles, how big would a working turbine need to be?
Friday 15 June 2007 3.47pm
Mark , how many kw's are wind turbines normally? or ones that would produce enough energy to make it viable?
Friday 15 June 2007 6.25pm
I wouldn't fancy having the shadow of one spinning into my living room. They look nice though. If they make sense energy wise - good on Southwark council for trying.
Friday 15 June 2007 6.27pm
These look viable to me - remember that boiling a kettle represents peak usage. If the average electricity consumption for a household is 4500 kWh, that means that one turbine contributes to the grid enough power for something like 12 households. I don't know what costs and carbon are associated with making the turbine, and I may have got the maths wrong. But at that rate, twenty turbines on the roof of a new build could make a real difference.

Jan - I agree noise and vibration may well be factors. This one's a pilot, to measure disturbance. That ought to mean that they'll have enough data to design protection from vibration into the new E&C developments.
Saturday 16 June 2007 7.12am
If they were called windmills and not wind turbines don't you think that people would be crying out for them and having them listed?
Saturday 16 June 2007 7.47am
and there would be a mad scramble by some people to live in 'em!
Monday 25 June 2007 7.40pm
Whilst I fully support LSBU for conducting the research, in truth the wind climate in London is pretty poor. I would expect a 6kW wind tubine in London to have a load factor of 10 to 15% at best. The wind turbine inverter will also use power when the wind isn't blowing (effectively in standby mode)Therefore, annual generation could be around 5000 kWh, worth around 500. The cost of the turbine will probably exceed 10k, so a long payback period. However, at least this wind turbine will be able to turn into the prevailing wind, which is more than the new 'razor' building turbines can do. The BWEA website has some useful data for anyone considering this. www.bwea.com

Steve
Tuesday 26 June 2007 6.37am
Thats interesting Steve, whats a 'razor' building turbine?
and Renie, I had not thought about the visual part of it. In my living room I have to sit in a particular seat unless I want to be driven mad by the bus shelter advertisement rolling up and down all the time just outside my living room almost!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: