A Call to leaseholders on Tabard Gardens TMC Estate

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 20 August 2003 7.53am
Hi,

I am a leaseholder living in Boughton House. Leaseholders , as it now stands, will have to pay for double glazing in residents flats - which I object to strongly. Why should leaseholders pay for changes to the INTERIOR of flats of residents? Obviously leaseholders should pay their fair share of communual spaces (eg gardens, lifts, structural repairs), but not for the interior of other flats. To use an absurd example, what if TMC decided to buy new TVs for the residents - would leaseholders have to pay for this as well?

I would be very interested in hearing any one else's views - or being directed to any TMC focus group on the web.

Many thanks
Jonathan

JONATHAN DUDDING
Wednesday 20 August 2003 9.37am
As far as I was aware the latest proposal was for a small number of blocks to get new windows. Presumably these new windows would incorporate double glazing. The windows would be installed in tennants' and leaseholders' flats.

Leaseholders would be liable for the proportionate cost of the replacement windows on their block. You don't have to pay for works on other buildings, or at least you don't according to my lease. The service charge statement should detail this additional charge. If you don't want to have replacement windows or you have already installed replacement windows (with the permission of the freeholder i.e. Southwark Council of course) you are still liable for your portion of the major works bill.

If some residents receive new windows or double glazing but it's not in your block, then as a leaseholder you're not be liable for any costs. If it is in your block and it's part of a windows replacement scheme then you will be liable for a portion of the costs, whether you take up the offer of new windows or not. If it is purely double glazing and is only in tenants' flats then you shouldn't have to pay a bean.

This is just my understanding. I might be off mark but I'm p-r-e-t-t-y sure that's how it works. As for a web based TMC focus group...would love to hear about any.
Wednesday 20 August 2003 9.48am
Thanks for the note. That is partly as I feared it.

Boughton House is scheduled to be double glazed in 2006. That means If I wait 3 years and have it done with the other flats I pay effectively my fair share. Thats fine. But what if I have done now?

Then I end up paying now and then again in 2006 - a large and unjustified subsidy to TMC. And thats NOT fair.

And who knows what will happen to TMC by 2006 financially or in terms of the management by then.

I will therefore be pressing TMC so that leaseholders who either do not want double glazing or who have already had it installed themselves do not pay for residents flats.

jd

JONATHAN DUDDING

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: