Peter Ackroyd programme on London skyline

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 18 June 2007 12.55pm
For those who may be interested in one particular view [excuse the pun] about the future of Londons skyline, Peter Ackroyd is fronting this programme tonight at 22.35, on BBC1.
Monday 18 June 2007 1.22pm
Ackroyd is a genius in my opinion. Nobody else can describe London as eloquently as him. He's like a modern-day Charles Dickens. This programme is essential viewing.
Monday 18 June 2007 9.20pm
Starting in 10 minutes.
Monday 18 June 2007 10.10pm
It was generally pretty good. Nice commentary from Ackroyd.

Couple of things pissed me off though:

- The "Walkie Talkie" was confused with the Heron Tower

- They didn't show enough of those models, just a couple of seconds here and there. If I was directing that programme I'd have spent a good few minutes panning around them and showing different angles.
Monday 18 June 2007 10.15pm
Is the programme available to view online?

Thanks
Monday 18 June 2007 10.15pm
I thought it was excellent. You saw what a huge passion Ackroyd had for London, and how he actually understood it. That is a passion and understanding English Heritage/Ed Vaizey/UNESCO do not have, as is clear in their arguments. They have not done ANYTHING about the travesty that is the poor quality low rise offices around St Pauls Cathedral, yet they say "Whaaaa! The Shard is too big and dominating! Whaaaa!"

peter Ackroyd should be in charge of planning in London. He understands it better than anyone I have ever seen.
Tuesday 19 June 2007 7.28am
He has great passion, but I could have done with a little less of the Ackroyd chops gazing gloomily out of a cab / office / London Eye window, and a bit more about the context of the proposed buildings. It was a big [tall?] subject to cover in a relatively short programme.
Tuesday 19 June 2007 1.14pm
Ackroyd strikes again. Cue the moans.

He is by some way the most intelligent commentator on the shape and soul of London.
Tuesday 19 June 2007 1.40pm
kmitchell wrote:
Ackroyd strikes again. Cue the moans.

IF that is a pop at my comment, I agree re the observations that he is one of the more intelligent and thoughtful commentators. However, as with Jonathan Meades who also makes fascinating observations [as in the 'Abroad Again' series], but who has a quite different presentation style, I find myself distracted by thinking both of them could at least try to look a little less like merchants of doom to project the passion they have for their subject - or stick to doing voice over only, so we get more time looking at the subject matter.
Tuesday 19 June 2007 2.08pm
Not at all Janefs. I kind of agree with you about the presentation. Lots of moody Hitchcock-like shots of Ackers are boring after awhile. Ditto Meades. Both treasures, though.

I was talking about the kneejerk response to any defence of high-rise etc. What Ackroyd points out is that London is part of us as much as we are part of London. It's not Kuala Lumpur. Or Canberra. Or Utopia. It's a living, breathing and very old city - as well as a modern one, in its own mad, chaotic, loveable way.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: