Fly Tower - what happened?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 18 June 2007 2.09pm
I see they're pulling the grass off the NT fly tower today. Does anyone know a) what went wrong and b) how much this whole exercise has cost tax payers/the Arts Council etc?
Monday 18 June 2007 2.16pm
It was due to finish yesterday:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/1939/flytower

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 18 June 2007 2.22pm
Why not address your query directly to the NT, Rupert? The tower looked pretty scruffy last week, which was perhaps the 'decay' phase of the installation.
Thursday 21 June 2007 5.38pm
I don't really care what it cost; I'm sure people who play the lottery paid for it, so I just can't get as interested about the cost as I did when such things were funded out of our taxes.

And actually I thought it was a really clever idea, and grabbed a lot of attention. Amusingly, a Gormley was then stuck on top, providing an interesting counterpoint and much discussion about whether one could have just too much of a good thing....
Thursday 21 June 2007 8.19pm
The project was sponsored by Bloomberg, according to the NT website. They support lots of new art things.

I also liked the idea, and I think it more or less worked, though there was something a bit desperate about all that watering they were doing at the top right corner throughout May, even during rainy spells. Turf on clay smeared onto a concrete wall was never going to be easy.
Friday 22 June 2007 9.05am
Very true, Richard, it was a tricky one to pull off and it did look magnificent for a week or so. Perhaps if Bloomberg have money to spare they could come and turf the Elephant and Castle.
roy
Saturday 23 June 2007 8.10pm
Why didn't a enterprising graphitti person plant some daisies and spell out something funny. And those Gormleys are begging for a wedding hat and frock especially at eye level.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: