Tesco and Co

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 19 June 2007 11.28pm
Waitrose in Canary Wharf is more conveneint (directly on Jubilee Line, 10 mins to get there from London Bridge), nicer and bigger than the one on Thomas More St. Definitley my pick.

Why Waitrose has refused to put in a store near Waterloo or this side of the river bank, I have no idea. I guess they as usual they will dilly dally and then wonder why they have only 4% of the grocery market.

But hey maybe we will get free chauffered shopping trips like the folks in Marylebone - yeah right! :-)
Wednesday 20 June 2007 9.27am
Definitely ASDA in Old Kent Road. But you better check your bill everytime you buy things which are on bogof offers. I found many items marked as bogof in store and when I pay, they charge me the full price twice. Customer service will always refund though.
Wednesday 20 June 2007 2.14pm
That Asda is definitely the worst place I've been to when it comes to overcharging. But it works both ways too as things frequently scan at a lower price than the shelf, too.
Wednesday 20 June 2007 3.56pm
I'll echo those who can't understand the lack of a Waitrose anywhere in SE London, except Canary Wharf. Perhaps SE1 is considered to be served by the one at St Katharine's Dock, but further out in SE London there's aren't any at all. I know most of SE London isn't prime Waitrose territory, but I'm certain there would be a potential market in Dulwich (which would be handy for me) and Blackheath.
Wednesday 20 June 2007 4.35pm
[quote]Why Waitrose has refused to put in a store near Waterloo or this side of the river bank, I have no idea. I guess they as usual they will dilly dally and then wonder why they have only 4% of the grocery market[/QUOTE]
I approached Waitrose about whether they would put one in SE1 and this is their response;
"Waitrose are looking to expand however, due to the sensitive nature of this development we are unable to disclose any further information regarding locations at this present time"
Not very enlightening....
Friday 22 June 2007 10.39am
Personally, I have never been a fan of ASDA, and I find the OKR Tesco to be an absolute nightmare, so I use the Sainsbury's in New Cross, which is a pretty good one (no clothing though, if that is important to you), Waitrose at St. Katharine's dock and M&S at MoreLondon. Appreciate, though, that I am not trying to feed a family and/or on a tight budget ...
Wednesday 27 June 2007 1.09pm
Depending where you live in SE1, and this is not in SE1 either, but Tesco at Cheapside is good, just over Southwark Bridge, and if you go on Saturday it is really quiet and loads of great reductions on just about everything, (if, like me, you like a bargain...)
Wednesday 27 June 2007 3.33pm
There is a large Sainsburys which has clothes near Vauxhall, and an even larger & better Sainsburys in Greenwich on Bugsby Way, already mentioned in this thread, which is on the same retail estate as the Greenwich Filmworks
Wednesday 27 June 2007 3.55pm
I usually go to Sainsburys on waterloo road. It's fairly horrid, though. The floors are seemingly always dirty... poorly stocked shelves... many of the staff are rude, too. Cherry on the cake is the fact that my husband found a used syringe on the floor by the tills a couple of months ago, and the cashiers didn't even seem to think this meritted some immediate action!
Wednesday 27 June 2007 5.35pm
M&S in Waterloo Station is ok, it's busy at peak times but the queues don't take too long. They've also improved on the sell-by dates, when it first opened it seemed to be a dumping ground for the bigger stores.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: