Le Pain Quotidien, South Bank

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 20 June 2007 11.18pm
I wonder if anyone else has had a bad experience of Le Pain Quotidien by the Royal Festival Hall.

Tonight I went there for the first time and ordered the fish pie, and when it arrived it stank to high heaven..a kind of rotten cabbagey smell. Sending it back to the kitchen, I was eventually given a replacement, which also tasted and smelled disgusting. Even the manageress and the kitchen staff agreed it was off, when I sent it back! but they had "no explanation as to why." Not only that but even getting hold of a waiter was tough, they were all eating their dinner instead of serving us.

I find it astounding that a restaurant can serve thoroughly rotten food and they they will do so twice to the same diner! we did not pay for the meal, but nevertheless that is no compensation - I really hope I have not been given a dose of food poisoning..

has anyone else had a similar experience there?
Thursday 21 June 2007 8.17am
I have to say, having already sung LPQ's praises on this very site, that I will no longer go to the one by the Festival Hall. Last time I was there, they had no decaf coffee - even though it was on the menu - and the croissants we had might have been two days old. And no-one even tried to be apologetic.

If you feel like LPQ, go to Marylebone High Street. I agree, Sputnik, the franchisee at the Royal Festival Hall should be sent to Pastry Hell.
Sunday 24 June 2007 2.23pm
It's horrifically overpriced and usually sweltering in there, regardless of temperature outside. And snotty service you might expect (although not hope for) in a posh restauramt but not in what is essentially a bread shop.
Sunday 24 June 2007 9.24pm
I've had good experiences with food there but the prices are stupid. There is a new coffee place opening up next door soon which should provide some competition hopefully...
Wednesday 27 June 2007 9.08am
I don't agree with these comments. I feel the food is very good and the prices are not that high9this is London)
I went to this place last Saturday. The staff was friendly and the food good. 25 per person for a main course and dessert with 2 bottles of wine for 4 people.
Le pain quotidien is a belgian company ( Iam french, not belgian)and you can find them everywhere, even in the states.
Wednesday 27 June 2007 10.15am
I was a frequent customer of LPQ in the early nineties, when I lived in Gent, in Flanders. I loved it and always hoped that they would come here. Once they were however, I was disappointed: it has lost the its 'innocence'and it is very overpiced.

On my very last day in London last month I went there just for tea and cake and I decided that I will not miss this place.
Tuesday 17 July 2007 11.38am
I went there a few weeks ago for a late breakfast - the food and drinks were fine, but I was overcharged by 3. I also didn't like the way the staff hovered and whisked away cups, plates and glasses the second they were emptied, interrupting what should have been a relaxed business meeting.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: