Bikes and the Council?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 21 August 2003 12.36pm

This is both a question and plea to the Council (i understand that some representatives/employees may watch this forum).

I live and work in and around the area and I have noticed an increasing number of people cycling here. Here is the question bit... Is the council responsible for cycle racks (or lack thereof)?

If they are then we need a LOAD more.

An example: the bikes chained to every immovable item of street furniture, and even in desperation, to each other, whenever the Borough Market runs.

Another example: the Sainsbury's on Borough High Street - which is really busy - perhaps a bike rack there? Or, at a few more points along the river (e.g. outside the Anchor pub - awful place but people clearly cycle there as you can see from the occasional piles of bikes). Or the Southwark Playhouse, or outside London Bridge Station.... I could go on, but the easy way to spot where to put these is to go round the area for a few weeks and see where people are piling bikes.

You will also be able to spot where bike racks have been placed which are not being used. Easy. Tell you what, I will do it for a small fee. Of course, if it isn't the Council's responsibility then my plea is in vain - many apologies.

RB (mine is the yellow bike)
Thursday 21 August 2003 12.38pm
Southwark Cyclists - http://www.southwarkcyclists.org.uk - are often consulted on the location of new bike racks.

Their site says:

Recently 18 new locations, chosen by Southwark Cyclists, have had cycle parking in the form of Sheffield stands installed. We are about to audit all Museums, Galleries, Libraries, Health Centres, Hospitals, Colleges, Council Offices, etc to find which popular destinations do not have cycle parking. Do you know somewhere cycle parking is needed? If so email: <cycleparking@southwarkcyclists.org.uk>

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: