St Olaves Nursing home

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 3 July 2007 8.03am
Is being closed down..:-( all those poor souls who call it home and the staff their family. Despite protestations made by Rod Craig from Southwark Primary Care trust that no decision has been made about the future of the site, we all know the outcome...Flats,appartments etc.,

My husband and sister in law were residents in St Olaves ( at different times!) and whenever I visited and sat in the garden with him before he died, I often wondered how long it would be before some developer got there hands on this little prime piece of land, my husband being a trusting soul said they would never do that to sick elderly people..Well my love if you are up there reading this...you were wrong!
Wednesday 4 July 2007 2.04pm
Jan
This is very bad news. Bad for the residents for whom familiarity with staff, environment and routine is essential in maintaining quality of care. Bad for the staff who are without exception totally committed to their residents and will now be broken up and have their lives disturbed. And bad for the community who are set to loose one of the most trusted and appreciated of local resources.

I moved my mother there two years ago from Kent. It was, and is, the best home in the area. The PC Trust do not have any concerns about the care, and it seems to me quite bizare that they choose to close an exemplarary service. It is a financial issue.

I have written to Simon Hughes for comment. Email acknowldeged, but no response. Keen to get the media coverage when it suits, but where is he now?
Wednesday 4 July 2007 3.16pm
Mark,

it is indeed, I dashed a letter off to Southwark and Bermondsey news because I know Simon reads that..I'd like to think that tomorrow there will be some comment about this sad matter from him. In a way I am relieved that Don is not here to suffer the disruption that moving him and his fellow residents will cause. I was very concerned to read the comment by the powers that be that the residents would be moved into a new home en masse if they wished..

And where would that be? some other less than perfect place where you have to make an appointment to go in to view?
There is a very large Nursing Home at the Bricklayers Arms which was called the killing fields locally because of the amount of neglect and death of some of the residents would they be stuck there on the third or fourth floor with only 2 small lifts?

Can you imagine Mark the confusion that your Mum and others will experience? To suddenly have strangers carry out very personal tasks, who cannot communicate with the residents like the staff who have know them for years.
Wendy, Violet, Mary, Edna, Patrick,Florri,Alice to name a few..
Real people not disposable units to be moved like pieces on a chess board.
Despite protestations we all know the outcome, it's heartbreaking..the mighty developer will have his way no matter what..
Monday 9 July 2007 9.27am
I am appalled by the amount of stories I hear of inhumane mistreatment of older people, in places that are supposed to be sanctuaries for the last stages of a life's journey.

I think we need to get utterly intolerant of this as a society.
Tuesday 10 July 2007 8.00am
Renie,

when ever the subject of elderly care is raised by various official bodies, they cite low pay as one the reasons that vulnerable people are treated with cruelty and contempt, plus lack of training..that excuse never washed with me , there are many jobs with similar pay rates carried out by 'untrained' people.. so if some 'carers' don't like what they have to do, they can leave!

I could bore the pants off forum members here about the care my husband received in hospital. Two weeks after my husband died my mother had a mild stroke and because of her age the hospital did not want to give her fluids or insert a feeding tube into her stomach. My mother was not given any speech therapy apart from a therapist giving her ten minutes of...EEEhh excercises!

My brother and I had a meeting with so called professional geriatric experts, including a palliative care nurse, who assured me that to stop feeding or hydrating our mother would not cause any discomfort and that mum would gently drift off into eternal sleep. They said she had no quality of life or future and death was inevitable etc. It was only when we threatened to take them to court and advertise the fact that back door euthanasia was rife in the hospital that they performed the procedure.

Yesterday was my Mums 89th Birthday, almost twelve months after her death sentence.. she had a crab sandwich, a cup of tea and a singsong. She opened her cards and admired her flowers. She watched a bit of telly and moaned about my brothers girlfriend.

Strange how this human being who was deemed not worthy of saving or even viable was enjoying herself one year after he death sentence from the medical profession! Moral of this long winded story?
Ignore what the hospital say when your elderly relation has a stroke and they want to withdraw nutrition!
Tuesday 10 July 2007 10.02am
Jan

That's deeply moving - belated Happy Returns to your amazing mother!

Well done for fighting for what was right. It is a familiar story in the 'health system' one way or another with people being told 'you are finished', the only response is be as positive and assertive as you were, the alternative is dire and tragic.

I'm proud that my mother spent many years working with older and vulnerable people - she worked with care, kindness, respect and a smile. She saw the potential in one particular older woman, who had been completely written off, and helped to transform her quality of life, in the most gentle gradual way, over many years, according to exactly what the lovely old character wanted.

Good on you Jan!

Renie
Tuesday 10 July 2007 11.40am
Thank you Renie, pity they could not clone kind people like your Mother!

I have come to the sad conclusion which I have probably said before, anyone who is vulnerable whether through age or infirmity and has the misfortune to go into hospital, especially on elderly care wards needs someone fighting in their corner, to defend them when they are unable to speak...
Tuesday 10 July 2007 8.56pm
What you say is so true Jan. It is sad.

The two consolations to me are that someone effective fighting that corner can make a big difference, the other is that there is usually at least one resourceful and decent person in every difficult place, if you can find them!!:)

Best wishes to you and yours.

Renie
Tuesday 17 July 2007 10.52pm
Hi, I am from the University of Worcester and am researching views on care homes for my Masters MSc and would really welcome your opinions. I really need your help to participate in my on-line anonymous and confidential survey. As a token of appreciation I am offering a prize draw for Amazon Vouchers and will send the results of the research to those who choose to submit their email address on completion of the survey.

I am looking for the views of three groups of people (please cut and paste the relevent link to participate in the survey)
- people who have been involved with finding a care home or who will be involved in the near future
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=jPNfXWYFOjyxWlfECUALBQ_3d_3d
- care home owners / managers / supervisors / nurses / administrators
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=4E0r4OJ0Y7u3e1CaqCsd3Q_3d_3d
- professionals involved in the route to finding a care home (social care workers, physios, OT's, nurses etc)
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=fA4cBDfDg7BxgHPk09pjMQ_3d_3d
As a token of appreciation for those who participate I am offering the chance to win a 10 Amazon gift voucher and I will also provide the results of all three surveys to those who participate and wish to receive them.
The survey is short and should take about 2-3 minutes to complete.
Thank you so much for reading my request. If you know of others who this survey may apply to then please forward the relevent links to them.
The survey can also be accessed in alternative formats upon request. Any queries please email me
Many many thanks
Lisa Porter
University of Worcester
porl1_94@worc.ac.uk
Tuesday 17 July 2007 10.59pm
Jan,

Do you know if this is a local authority care home, or a private one?

If it a local Authority one they have obligations under the Human Rights Act not to move her, but most LA's are contracting out care to avoid their Human Rights obligations and cut costs.

When was the decision announced? Is anyone trying to fight the closure?

Amanda
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: