Tesco Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Tuesday 3 July 2007 4.04pm
well our worst kept sectre is out. there is a license application for the sale of booze from 6.00am to 23.00 on the former marketing suite at tabard/empire square. the application has been made by tesco. so its theirs now and hopefully an alternative to the dire sainsbury will mean a decent choice for shoppers. i expect tesco to win this battle of the retail giants

Related news & features

Tuesday 3 July 2007 4.17pm
At last an end to the "its a sainsburys no its a tesco not its a waitrose, not its definately a sainsburys" etc etc debate. Thanks Boroughpaul for finally settling that for us.
Tuesday 3 July 2007 6.59pm
I doubt there was ever a battle. Sainsbury's already have a store in a far better location. The idea of it being an M&S Simply Food was fanciful to say the least. It's about 10% of the size a small Waitrose would need and about 5% of what Morrison's would need. In both these instances the lack of parking would make it a dead in the water possibility anyway. Thus it was going to be Tesco if it was any mainstream operator. I do wonder though if Tesco will ever make money out of it and suspect that when the effects of their aggressive buy any site to gain market share strategy eventually falters in the face of too many sites with too low a turnover it will be one of the first to close.
Wednesday 4 July 2007 9.54am
Tesco opens small stores because it's the only way to expand - large stores are usually prevented by competition regulations. Also a small store might get higher profit margins than their overall estate as they'll have higher prices and more expensive lines.

It's perhaps wishful thinking, but a "mini market" outpost supplied by Borough market traders would have been nice!
Wednesday 4 July 2007 3.50pm
While not thrilled about Tesco coming to Borough they are very good at judging their market and tailoring their products to their customer base...this store will be a useful add-on to what else is around and as a resident of empire square it will be very convenient
Monday 9 July 2007 12.27pm
Not thrilling but the space is larger than Sainsb. Apparently Tescos are taking up the whole of what was the show suite and that went back quite a way because we went and had a look at the show flats etc.
let's hope. am really fed up with Sainsbury's lack of stock.
Monday 9 July 2007 12.37pm
This planning application implies that the space is being subdivided into a supermarket and gym. Which would make sense as peering through the windows from Long Lane the space looks too big to me to be a Tesco Express.

And the licensing application (7-day opening 6am-11pm) implies a small convenience store.

Can anyone confirm that the licensing application (34 Long Lane SE1 4AU) and the change of use planning application (address given as Empire Square West, SE1 4NL) actually refer to the same space?

(I've asked Tesco for some clarification but no joy.)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 10 July 2007 2.13am
boroughpaul wrote:
so its theirs now and hopefully an alternative to the dire sainsbury will mean a decent choice for shoppers. i expect tesco to win this battle of the retail giants
I'm not sure if I can find cause for celebration in the addition of the upteenth soul-less and generic Tesco to the London landcape. Worse yet, it is just the start of a march of chains - and chain-level rents - that wipe out any last vesigtiges of local character remaining that south end of TBR. You can pretty much predict them with your eyes closed: Tesco, Starbucks /Costa, Rymans, Pret, McDonalds etc

boroughbloke wrote:
I doubt there was ever a battle. Sainsbury's already have a store in a far better location......It's about 10% of the size a small Waitrose would need and about 5% of what Morrison's would need. In both these instances the lack of parking would make it a dead in the water possibility anyway. Thus it was going to be Tesco if it was any mainstream operator.
Morrisons does have smaller stores and in fact their executives already realise that going forward, smallers stores will be the key to their growth. But any initiative was absent here, even though South London should be a target area for them.

Waitrose too - in fact, why they have not already established themselves in that huge newbuild complex in the middle portion of Long lane is a mystery to me. IMO they were too busy counting on us trekking to St Kats & to Canary Wharf, to see that this area is a HUGE South London beachhead they should have jumped on. In 5 years it will be be pretty much the same residential profile as the rest of zone 1.

Even Spar could have gone into that store Tesco is taking, using the type of store they have just south of Picadilly Circus. But they are AWOL here.

Aldi recently opened in a very interesting and relatively compact city-centre store in Manchester, similar to their "Trader Joe"-branded chain in the US. Again, why could they have done this here at Tabard Square

Either Tesco is doing something very underhanded in the real estate end of thins - or the competition just doesnt have any balls. But I just dont believe that Tesco is the only one who had anything to offer there.
Tuesday 10 July 2007 9.58pm
I'm no great fan of Tesco, but as someone who lives near the site in question I'd sooner have Tesco than Spar or Morrison. Waitrose would have been good, granted, and an indoor tennis facility even better (unlikely, I know), but I can't say the advent of Tesco is a surprise.

The discrepancy in postcodes identified by James is something to do, I think, with the new SE1 4NL postcode not having found its way into some of the existing databases.

An interesting question - admittedly more interesting to me than to someone who lives 15 mins' walk away - is what the other retail/commercial units will become. The gym seems plausible, but there is a hell of a lot of other space for which occupiers have yet to be found.
Wednesday 11 July 2007 5.45am
longlaner, i expect that once tesco move in and start trading they will be a draw to other, less timid,retailers and we may see a slow snowball effect ( if there ius such a thing). as a resident of empire square i have an interest in how the place develops... there is a gym coming but no news/interest in the restaurant (The Armadillo)however!!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: