Ugly buildings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 4 July 2007 10.34pm
Ugly buildings
I was walking along the river today and I noticed that building you can see from Westminster bridge to the left of the London eye is pretty grotesque. Its so ugly its difficult to see whether its finished or not.
I have a suspicion that if its not finished it wont look any nicer when it is .
As I walked along the river I also noticed that that building in

rears up behind St Paul's as viewed from the south bank.

(most unfortunate)

it seems new labour cant get any planning decisions right

There was one nice building opposite the Globe theatre next to that old warehouse was a small building coloured deep red brick at the bottom which got progressively lighter towards the top. We could do with a bit more of that, and less gray.
Wednesday 4 July 2007 11.34pm
The buildings you're referring to are the New Street Square development -

and the Broadgate Tower -

It's a shame the Broadgate Tower appears close to St Paul's from some angles, but I don't think it does too much harm. And up close, it's actually quite cool. The recent Unilever House extension is far more damaging in my opinion, being literally in front of the cathedral and actually masking part of it.

New Street Square looks rather dull, and slightly bulky on the skyline. Maybe they should have left that part of the city for low-rise development.
Thursday 5 July 2007 8.17am
Would that they would leave ANY part of the city for low rise development...
Thursday 5 July 2007 11.43am
Sounds like you have a phobia of tall buildings.
Thursday 5 July 2007 12.29pm
That's silly, and totally untrue. Just because I would like some of the city to stay low rise does NOT mean I have a phobia (a phobia consitutes some pathological reaction to something, like spiders or reptiles) about tall buildings. I dont at all. I spent a lot of my life in New York. I just would prefer London not to acquire the same aspect as Shanghai.
Friday 13 July 2007 9.31pm
New Street Square development
they may as well start pulling it down before its finished.

Its proactively dull
Visual antimatter.

And way to tall for that sensitive location.
Friday 13 July 2007 9.45pm

What makes an ugly building is a very subjective opinion.

I think you're being incredibly pompous making out that your opinion is in any way factual.

Obviously your spiritual home is with Colonel Blimp in Surrey. Lord knows what you're doing in SE1. It is something to do with property prices?

It's also a bit pathetic to make this a party political issue; look at some of the grey and miserable buildings built by the Tories. Portcullis House for example.
Saturday 14 July 2007 1.13am
because there have never been any tall buildings on that side of St Pauls so its clearly ill-conceived and wrong.

If you want to say you like it (which I notice you didn't) you should just say that instead of criticising my opinion.
I'm not a conservative it just so happens that it is political as it is the current government that has started what can only be described as taking the piss on the planning front.

As for a building like Portcullis house. It might not be my favourite building ,but it has redeeming attributes.
Its on the right scale and has a profile from lots of different angels that doesn't interfere with Westminster. you can also see the roof line from Trafalgar square Outside The National Gallery but you don't notice it, so it doesn't interfere with that famous view.

New Street Square development Has no redeeming attributes it looks terrible from every angle.
Saturday 14 July 2007 8.38am
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.
Saturday 14 July 2007 10.23am
Sometimes there is a general consensus.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: