Anchor & Hope

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Juha Saturday 23 August 2003 6.39pm
The pub that was previously called Anchor and Hope on the Cut, extensively modernised about 2 years ago to Bar Citrus, is being refurbished again... and reopening as, yes, Anchor and Hope. So is this the life span of bar/pub interiors these days or has the competition from The Ring robbed them of their customers? Anybody know more?

Advertisement

Christianna Franck Tuesday 26 August 2003 8.29am
Heard a programme yesterday on Radio 4 and it seems this pub has been taken over by the people who own the The Eagle on Farringdon Rd-one of the original so called 'Gastro Pubs'. If the standard is as good as there it will be one more place for good food/drink at sensible prices in the area.

Christianna
penfold Tuesday 26 August 2003 10.14am
good news indeed,

they also own Eyre Brothers in Shoreditch, a fantastic restaurant that I would recommend to anyone - esp. their Mozambique Prawns. Big as a baby's arm they are!

Desser Tuesday 26 August 2003 9.45pm
sounds exciting!

Bar Citrus was a bit of a disaster really, lacked atmosphere, staff were rude and food was patchy. But good beer...

Don't think they lost many to the ring, i think The Ring generated their own, all the bars around here are busier.

Eagle food is ok, but I have to say I had some dodgy stuff, still hope they do well
Ivanhoe Martin Wednesday 27 August 2003 3.36pm
Agree with you there. Never impressed with the Eagle. Thought it was an excellent example of how you can take a few london food writers to a mediocre place and create a marvellous reputation.

If they renamed it The Emperors Clothes, then that would be more honest

It'll be great to have any sort of replacement for Bar Citrus though. Bad name, bad pub. Not a patch on the Ring (and not just for the excellent and cheap Thai food)
jac Wednesday 27 August 2003 10.41pm
Careful what you say about food writers, I'm one of them. Incidently a food writer is not the same as a restaurant critic, which did you mean or is that nit picking? I always follow the foodie threads in the forum avidly, there seems to be quite a few "restaurant critics" ! Having young children means I don't get to as many restaurants/pubs as I would like so I am always keen to hear from the forum postings what are your favourite places as I want to have good food when I do get out, it all helps to inspire me when developing my recipes.

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions