Canteen restaurant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
rebecca1 Thursday 5 July 2007 7.35pm
The canteen restaurant is the most pretentious restaurant in waterloo.The management is farse,obnoxious and confused.They very disorganised and overbearing.The place is comfortable but the atmosphere is unbearable.
The food is good but the prices are monstrous.

At the center of waterloo we expect a total british enviroment.Funny enough there are enough foreigners but hardly any mixed people.From the british background.There are no equal opportunities and the workers look disgruntled.
The place is small and dark and they are always fully booked.
More about the restaurant coming soon.

Advertisement

carmenes82 Thursday 5 July 2007 8.10pm
What an odd post.

Why do you think it's "always fully booked" if it's so terrible?

I haven't eaten there yet, but their branch in Spitalfields has an excellent reputation.
Siduhe Thursday 5 July 2007 8.20pm
I visit the Spitalfields branch a fair bit, as I work just round the corner (well, just above it actually).

It does get very busy, but I've always found the food to be excellent and good value (although not cheap) and the staff to be generally very helpful. Can't speak for the Waterloo branch, however.

Rebecca1, like Chris, I'm not sure I follow all of your first post (welcome to the forum by the way!). You sound like you have some personal experience of Canteen, particularly about the waiting staff. Do you know someone who works there?

Speaking for myself, I don't think anywhere in Central London can or should claim to be "a total british environment" "from the british background". It simply doesn't reflect the society we live in, in this most multi-cultural of cities. Or am I misunderstanding your point?
JaneS Thursday 5 July 2007 9.06pm
I've not yet been but it does seem overpriced for what it is - posh "caff" food, basically!
boroughpaul Thursday 5 July 2007 9.23pm
the original in spitalfields serves good flavoursome british food and the staff are always friendly and efficient...never any problems so i am surprised that this message was so negative...a disgruntled former employee perhaps????
Libby Friday 6 July 2007 8.18am
I have also enjoyed several meals at the Spitalfields branch, although have yet to try the one in Waterloo. Of course there are cheaper restaurants around but, like Siduhe, I found it to be good value. The portions are generous, and the pie, mash and greens are very filling for 9. The house wine is also good at 12 - comparable with most other high street restaurants such as chain pizza places.

I would be interested to hear other people's experiences. It would be a shame if the Waterloo branch failed when the Spitalfields one has been so sucecssful. Absolutely no connection, other than being a satisfied customer.
PKM Friday 6 July 2007 8.47am
I went to the Waterloo branch recently and had a fantastic meal and great service by a waiter who didn't sound British to me. The resto is trying to champion good British cooking and produce - not sure thats a crime.
boroughpaul Friday 6 July 2007 11.22am
Hear Hear PKM well said! im going next week so will post a review (hope someone at canteen is monitoring this!)
williamn Friday 6 July 2007 12.28pm
Very much better geared up for pre-concert meals than the terribly sluggish (indeed chaotic) service at Skylon within the RFH
jaksoul Friday 6 July 2007 4.14pm
Canteen in spitalfields is just about my favorite place to grab a bite. The bacon sandwich is quite spectacular and the food generally is exceptionally good value.

My gf has been to the se1 branch,she said that whilst the food was as good as it's east london predecessor, the service was little below par.

Without askingshe was offered a 25% discount to make up for the teething troubles they were experiencing!!

A great additional to the southbank imo.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions