Canteen restaurant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
roy Friday 6 July 2007 7.39pm
We went to canteen for breakfast last weekend - was not overly impressed - was ok but expensive for what it was. And please teach your cooks to fry eggs - do not use a ring and do not overcook. Staff too overdressed and formal for what is a glammed up greasy spoon. Still its not terrible and if i had more money than sense i would go again - and well done for using british produce - another gripe where is the sausage egg and chips combo!!
chavender Saturday 7 July 2007 4.20pm
My family all like Canteen in Spitalfields so we were delighted to hear that another branch has opened here. I have not been but my (very picky) son has been twice and says it is very good, and keeps on about how great some blackberry - or is it blackcurrant? jelly thing is.I have been to Skylon twice, great both times, but service slightly chaotic and not very fast. Have also been to Ping Pong - good fun and v. reasonable.
SusanD Saturday 7 July 2007 8.41pm
We turned up at Canteen on Friday at 6pm for a bite to eat before going to the theatre and were told that there were no tables free for 45 minutes! Being short of time we had to go elsewhere. They're obviously doing well - I'd recommend booking if you want to go in the evening...
babybat Monday 9 July 2007 9.25am
I've been to the branch in Spitalfields, and really enjoyed it. I don't think it's quite accurate to describe it as a 'glammed up greasy spoon', they do serve breakfast all day, but the aspirations of the food and the cooking standard is a lot higher. Yes, it's not cheap, but I think that the quality of the food justifies that, and I'm really looking forward to going to the RFH branch. The south bank's just getting better!
Kathryn Grant Monday 9 July 2007 9.45am
What a strange post! Have been to both Canteens and loved them - very reasonable, for what you get and a good range of prices... E.g. try the macaroni cheese for 7, it's well tasty and fills you up nicely...

Good 'grown up' alternative to Giraffe I say!
ScottR Tuesday 10 July 2007 6.48pm
I have eaten at Canteen twice and thought the food and the service was great. It is brilliant for brunch on a Sunday morning...

As for the service - when I first went they had just opened and were a bit patchy but had knocked 25% off everyones bill as they were still 'learning'. The manager made a point of explaining this at the start and hoped we'd let him know what they could do better. The second time the service was good. Not sure what the relevance is regarding 'british' staff - I'd challenge you to find a restaurant in London that has... They staff are polite, competent and serve good food and I think that's good enough!
rebecca1 Wednesday 11 July 2007 4.15pm
Everyone has an opinion about something.And those of you who consider this post strange ,have to be more reasonable.If something terrible does not happen to an individual or a friend, personally they would not know how bad it is.Do not judge a book by its cover and even though these may look like hate mail there is no smoke without fire and when there is fire it must burn.
Ivanhoe Wednesday 11 July 2007 4.43pm
Bob Marley

...if you press it, they will come.
Andrew H Wednesday 11 July 2007 11.55pm
rebecca1, you write in riddles
boroughpaul Thursday 12 July 2007 6.56am
im sure the delphic oracle made more sense than that
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions