How to keep visitors amused in SE1 ?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 26 August 2003 9.28am
I recently played hostess to the youngest brother of a good friend of mine from Canada, and his best friend, on the first leg of a tour of Europe. They are both in their very early 20's and at university - sports mad - but surprisingly keen on history and architecture (or maybe the world has just moved on a lot since I was at university).

We did a lot of the "standard" SE1 touristy things like Borough Market, the South Bank and the Tate and they had a great time just wandering around places like Shad Thames and Clink Street.

They are both passing back through London for a week from 26th September and are keen to do some more stuff in the area, but I'm running out of suggestions.

I've checked out the "Attractions and Museums" section of the site but I was wondering if people had any slightly more off beat and quirky suggestions or things they would recommend to visitors ? Would be good if they were in walking or simple bus ride distance from Borough High Street.
Tuesday 26 August 2003 10.59am
Have you tried the Bank of England museum? it's free, open 10 and 5 except sat.sun.bank holidays....my friends kids liked it. and can you still go up the Monument?

jan
R
Tuesday 26 August 2003 1.54pm
I know its not actually in SE1, but the new docklands museum at canary wharf is fantastic. I went the other day expecting to be in and out within an hour, but was there for about 4 hours! Also its very cheap and very easy to get to.
Tuesday 26 August 2003 4.29pm
I'd second the suggestion about the Docklands museum - great day out - and your tickets are valid for a year so you can go back as often as you like!
Tuesday 26 August 2003 8.31pm
All the national museums (not just Tate Modern) are now free - a factor if they're broke after a month inter-railing, and by that stage in September they'll not be full of kids.

IWM - almost on your doorstep - not just big guns - some pretty impressive art collections and human interest stuff.

National Maritime Museum - a short train ride, interesting bus ride (meet all the human life that is is Deptford folk) or convoluted riverside walk via a strange mix of pubs to Greenwich.

Over the river - Sir John Soane's Museum, Lincoln's Inn's Fields - for anyone with an interest in architecture this is a must.
Wednesday 27 August 2003 9.30am
I think there are also local guided walks around SE1 - not sure if they are free but they can't be too expensive, I wish I had known about it when we had guests. I think there are more details in the hardcopy of the SE1 Newsletter.
Wednesday 27 August 2003 11.11am
Thanks for all the suggestions - will let you know how they go down - personally, I'm thinking:

a) Docklands Museum; then
b) DLR to Greenwich; via a couple of riverside pubs to
c) the Maritime Museum;

sounds like a great day out - I may even tag along !

Will also try to hunt out the details of those guided walks.

Wednesday 27 August 2003 1.03pm
Harry,

I found the link for the guided walks (there's a small charge) but they sound fun.

http://www.inse1.co.uk/issues/inSE1-63.pdf
Thursday 2 October 2003 5.43pm
I promised to feed back on these suggestions. As said by others above, the Docklands Museum was great fun and they really enjoyed the trip on the DLR. Would highly recommend it to anyone else who needs to amuse visitors.

We tried to hook up with one of the guided walks in SE1, but the timing didn't work out, so went on one in and around the Square Mile instead. Personally, I didn't think it told them much that I (with a copy of Peter Ackroyd's "London") couldn't have done, and the guide was terminally bored and unwilling to go beyond his script.

I, of course, have given credit where it is due and the boys have one more request of the forum - does anyone know a really good Fish and Chip shop in SE1, so they can try it out before they go back on Monday ? Not a posh restaurant, a good, old-fashioned haddock, chip and peas place. A couple of people have recommended Masters on Waterloo Road, but grateful for views or other suggestions.

Thursday 2 October 2003 6.29pm
A thousand London cabbies can't be wrong, so I would have thought that Masters Super Fish would be the undisputed answer.

If you're there for a sit-down meal it won't be dirt cheap, but it is still very good value compared with the other fish restaurants
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: