Driscoll House and other changes on the New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 9 July 2007 10.01am
Wow, I go away for a short weekend and come back to find that Terence Driscoll has died and Driscoll House closed, David Copperfields Garden has re-opened after a re-landscaping, and the 168 bus now has recorded announcements about stops.

I am very pleased I got to sneak in to Driscoll House and take some photos a couple of years ago. That place is an incredible museum, and it will be a sin if they don't open it for Open House or some other public viewing before it is gutted. It was fun to meet Terence Driscoll briefly, when I went over to ask about a tour, although he was hardly pleasant and not at all co-operative!
Monday 9 July 2007 10.09am
Another noteworthy change on the New Kent Road is the impending conversion of the ex-Safeway 'FoodStore' at the BP garage to an M&S Simply Food franchise.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 9 July 2007 11.37am
I'd be interested in seeing Driscoll House before it gets hauled into the 21st century.

Have they finished with David Copperfield Gardens? I've seen a path with writing on it and some scruffy grass - is that it?

I hadn't heard about the Simply Food moving in - that's great news.
Monday 9 July 2007 1.05pm
I think it would be worth a walk over to Driscoll House to see if you can have a peek. Without mrD's ferocious gatekeeping, it might be a bit easier to explore.

Yes, all the fences are now down at David Copperfields Garden, but I haven't had a look yet. I am assuming the old plaque that the Dickens Fellowship erected will be there somewhere, although the plinth has been taken away. I read on the plans that the new design features suggestions of David Copperfield's journey to Kent, with milestones etc, but can't confirm this yet.
Monday 9 July 2007 7.08pm
James Hatts wrote:
Another noteworthy change on the New Kent Road is the impending conversion of the ex-Safeway 'FoodStore' at the BP garage to an M&S Simply Food franchise.

Do you know when this is due to open?

Monday 9 July 2007 11.58pm
Must be part of this formal partnership between BP and M&S which is rolling out 200 new Simply Food stores on BP forecourts:

Tuesday 10 July 2007 7.34am
I am pleased about the soon to be ex-safeway franchise..they used to sell the most revolting stuff, including some brand called Heritage..it was so vile even the fox would not eat one of their branded ' liver and onion' ready meals!
Tuesday 10 July 2007 10.53am
Heritage is the brand they sell in convenience stores - like Costcutters and Nisas. I think it might be owned by Nisa. Possibly called Heritage because it's food like food used to be - in the 70s, when processed food was a good thing...
Tuesday 10 July 2007 11.43am

have you ever had the misfortune to eat it? some of that rubbish you'd need your stomach pumped out after!
Wednesday 11 July 2007 3.29pm
I saw metal shutters being erected over the windows at Driscoll House today. The driveway has also been blocked with large concrete barriers.

As Driscoll House is listed, I assume the shutters/barriers are to prevent trespassers and looting, rather than the start of any refurbishment. Does anyone know anything further?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: