Question for all Mac users

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 10 July 2007 6.57pm
Hello,

I want to have the hard drive and optical drive of my Powerbook replaced. Does anyone know where I can have this done, preferably locally in SE1?

Many thanks.
Tuesday 10 July 2007 7.23pm
Hi jeje75014

Have had these two bookmarked from reliable sources incase of
any future needs. Worth a try!

macdaddy
or
macsupportlondon

Keep posted with interest to see if anyone else can help more locally
Tuesday 10 July 2007 9.20pm
If you feel brave, you can save some cash by doing it yourself.

This site has detailed instructions on how to change most Mac bits and pieces. It also allows you to identify the exact part, including Apple part number.

You can purchase the bits in the UK from this site.
Tuesday 10 July 2007 10.46pm
Bit of a techy question this; but what is an "optical drive"???
Wednesday 11 July 2007 6.47am
Quokka wrote:
Bit of a techy question this; but what is an "optical drive"???

Quokka, "optical drive" is the techy word for CD/CDR/DVD/R player/writer! :)
Thursday 19 July 2007 5.13pm
Thursday 19 July 2007 6.48pm
What model is it?
my 12" aluminium (aluminum) G4 seems to be built around the dvd drive. I read there have been many failures with this model, no doubt because it is just a wee one, and they had to shoe horn in a tiny drive. I've dropped it in my van, and off my bike, as well as banging it on the desk to get the mayor's attention during a council meeting, so it's had a hard life, but still functions otherwise ( I have a remote cd burner on my desktop).
http://www.mac1.net/ may help. I replaced bits of mine, just be methodical, and take notes, or even photos. I took off some obscure part, and simply re attached it, after a bike crash, thus bringing my laptop back to life, following some advise from a genius at the Regent street shop. Apple will replace the casing if you take it in, if the case is damaged. This put their quote up from about GBP80 to GBP280, when I quite like the dents and scratches and so wanted to keep the original casing. Good luck.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: