Private Members Clubs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 13 July 2007 4.32pm many people that are falling foul to the ravages of aging (I'm a not so youthful 28 year old single man) I quite like being able to go out for a drink, dinner and a chat with my friends on a Friday or Saturday night. I am yet to find somewhere particularly suitable around Borough High Street way that isn't always jam packed with people and/or playing booming music.

Basically, what I'm after is a private members club, where I can (pay a membership premium admittedly to) sit, eat and talk in comfort. I guess a soho house kind of thing. Is there any such thing around? Any other ideas anyone? The best suggestion gets a free drink from me once I've joined the club!
Friday 13 July 2007 4.44pm
Soho House is great - though their subs have gone up a lot over the last 3 years!

The National Liberal Club is nice if you like that kind of architecture and very old style. Not even particularly political anymore ie not all members are LibDems.

Not sure of anywhere in SE1 of that sort though. Would be interested if there is one!
Friday 13 July 2007 4.47pm
There's always a bit of a waiting list for anywhere good, from what I can make out, and you need to know a couple of members who will endorse you.

A suggestion you may regard as flippant but which is actually meant seriously is that you set one up. It's something to think about. I think a place of this kind in SE1 would achieve a very cosmopolitan and interesting membership.
Friday 13 July 2007 4.56pm
Thanks guys. The liberal looks great, but doesn't quite have the added bonuses of the pool, gym, screen, etc that you get at Soho House.

As for setting one up - I think it'd be a gold mine. Just not really in a place where I can do that just at the moment. I think somebody, if they could position it in or around the market, could make a mint!

If anybody is thinking about this, and needs a silent partner...let me know!
Friday 13 July 2007 5.41pm
I actually emailed Soho House (they also have a branch in Shoreditch) to ask if they had plans to setup a facility in SE1. Unfortunately, the answer was no. I think there is huge potential, especially as the existing venues get busier and busier.
Friday 13 July 2007 5.52pm
try the Great Eastern Hotel private members club. it's not SE1, but its not far
Sunday 15 July 2007 10.52am
The new soho house in Shoreditch with the rooftop pool is amazing and only a short distance from London Bridge, and is probably the best option at the moment. But I agree someone could clean up with something similar in SE1. I'd consider getting involved in something around Bermondsey St area.
Monday 16 July 2007 12.21am
How about this: Tate Modern (loads of space there already, plus they're expanding) would be brilliant as a partner in such a place. They criminally under-use their restaurant facility. Or one of the many towers going up - surely a penthouse members club overlooking the Thames would appeal to both residents and others in the area.
Monday 16 July 2007 11.10am
How about the new members bar in the Royal Festival Hall? Ok so there's no food but then there is the Skylon restaurant down stairs. No blaring music-fantastic views and two dining options.Plus loads of advantages at the South Bank Centre in the package.

Holding my hands up here-my partner works there but I have eaten at Skylon (paying too -no staff freebies!) in both options and found it to be very good.A la Carte menu excellent.Brasserie option- Fantastic beefburger-cooked rare as I like- it with very good side of fries, pickles etc just under a tenner but I think it was well worth it with such a view!
Monday 16 July 2007 11.12am
I thought I read somewhere that the Bermondsey Square development was going to have a members club.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: