Why is Bermondsey Street so great?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Sunday 15 July 2007 2.09pm
I've never worked this one out. It's grimy, grotty and scruffy. It has several estate agents, a couple of 'gastro pubs' a couple of other boozers. It has some attractive old warehouses and some less attractive new flats etc.

It's sandwiched between TBR which is The Ring road, and Borough High Street which is increasingly looking like the grottier end of Bermondsey Street - dominated by 'To Let' boards for unlet office space.

I struggle to see it as anything special. Yet people love it. Why? Don't get me wrong, I've liked the area for years... but I'm not even remotely trendy.
Sunday 15 July 2007 3.21pm
Oh Mapmaker, you are so trendy that you dont realise it! IS Bermondsey St. so great? Well, it's rather charming I must say...
Sunday 15 July 2007 5.19pm
I think it's the intangible things - like the fantastic community spirit (when I had my car serviced, the garage left the keys at the local pub for me to pick them up after hours...that doesn't even happen in rural Buckinghamshire now where my folks live) and the'vibe' you get from lots of young artists, City types, older people, council estate dwellers, etc. etc. living together - which set it apart. But I have to say that I think the architecture is (mostly) fantastic and as I walk up B St. every day to the City I always stop around the Tanner St. gardens to admire our little corner of London. On a sunny day it really is beautiful and I've yet to visit anywhere in London like it.

The continued development, which may be annoying for some, is exciting as we see new buildings spring up offering new amenities...

I actually got quite excited just writing this response so maybe for me, and many others, B St. just has the X-Factor?
Sunday 15 July 2007 6.38pm
I like Bermondsey Street because of the variety of buildings, because of the lovely green with the tennis courts, because of it's variety of shops- trendy and not so trendy.

I also think that Bermondsey Street is attractive because of the fact that there are always lot's of people walking around. The buzz, especially around lunch time is particularly lively which brings a street and neighbourhood to life. I realised this because at night the street is much less attractive.

I also like the shape of Bermondsey Street: it has a High Street feel because of its length and a 'snug' feel because of its width.

Trendy or not, Bermondsey Street is lovely.
PJ
Sunday 15 July 2007 11.22pm
Bermondsey Street is sooo overrated!
Monday 16 July 2007 9.58am
I've lived here approaching 10yrs now. It's changed a lot and not all for the better. However, I think the area really does have something unique - very few places in Zone 1 which have the hustle and bustle during the weekdays and the quiet village (admittedly urban)atmosphere at the weekend....
Monday 16 July 2007 12.34pm
I remember walking down it about 1998 - having visited the antiques market early one Friday morning and thinking how charming it was with its Victorian warehouses. It's no longer anything like that. (!)
Monday 16 July 2007 1.40pm
elliot wrote:
I've lived here approaching 10yrs now. It's changed a lot and not all for the better. However, I think the area really does have something unique - very few places in Zone 1 which have the hustle and bustle during the weekdays and the quiet village (admittedly urban)atmosphere at the weekend....
I'd agree with the latter: pretty laid back on weekens. But IMO it isnt actually partularly busy On Bermondsey St during the week, even though it is very centrally located as you said. That is in fact part of the charm for me: the pace here on a weekday is worlds away from what you find near Upper Street for example.
Monday 16 July 2007 6.52pm
>>the pace here on a weekday is worlds away from what you find near Upper Street for example.

I suppose that's why I'm struggling to see what people see in it.
Monday 16 July 2007 9.45pm
Each to his own then, Upper Street does absolutely nothing for me, far too busy and full of chain stores/bars/coffee shops for my liking.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network