Nature Notes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 15 July 2007 3.39pm
High up on my terrace...a whole lot of bees and a BUTTERFLY just now. How did they get here?
Zoe
Sunday 15 July 2007 4.21pm
I get bees and wasps, as well as butterflys and lots of birds, and I'm on the 7th floor. I think nature adapts to city living, just like us.
Sunday 15 July 2007 5.31pm
I noticed a load of white butterflies on the hedges around the (hideous) Faraday 'monument' in the centre of the Nth E+C roundabout, I wondered how in heaven they got there, I bet they set wing from there to you!
Sunday 15 July 2007 5.41pm
Actually my butterfly was a kind of Red Admiral type..not your common old Cabbage WHite, and I'm on 13th Floor...bloody long way up for one small butterfly never mind the bees...
Sunday 15 July 2007 7.17pm
They go across the channel sometimes, those things. Amazing. I've just had a HUGE bumble bee bumbling around in my flat lookng lost. I wonder if it was a queen, it was a monster and a very loud buzzer. I'm only on the first floor though, and have loads of flowers, so I'm always getting bees and butterflies.
Zoe
Sunday 15 July 2007 9.35pm
You probably all know, but don't kill bumblebees, they are endangered. You can kill wasps though, I hate those things!
Monday 16 July 2007 6.43am
I think honey bees have a range of six miles, I have seen loads of worker bees, a few butterflies, but as yet only a few bumblebees...thats when i can walk down the garden without falling over the bindwind, thistles etc..
Monday 16 July 2007 7.41pm
zoe! we shouldn't kill wasps!
Zoe
Monday 16 July 2007 8.24pm
Why, are they endangered? I seem to get loads, and they aren't industrious like bees, they just cheat with their repeated stinging.

I'm probably being unfair, but I just can't see any redeaming features!
Monday 16 July 2007 10.11pm
Jackie, I think there is an apiary barely 800 metres west from you as the bee flies, at Roots and Shoots off Walnut Tree Walk in Kennington
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: